Blueberry muffins are a fast and easy breakfast. Unfortunately, blueberry muffins are also known as major diet-wreckers. Store-bought blueberry muffins contain a huge amount of sugar. For example, just one Dunkin' Donuts blueberry muffin contains 460 calories and 44 grams of sugar. That's more calories than a frosted donut or cinnamon raisin bagel with butter!
But I sometimes get cravings for a warm smooshy blueberry muffin in the morning. Does this happen to you too? Luckily, I have a magical recipe for gluten-free paleo blueberry muffins. The ease of making them will blow your mind. Plus, they taste amazing and contain only 8 grams of sugar, along with 12 grams of protein and 9 grams of fiber.
I was inspired to create this recipe by watching a video from LIVESTRONG.COM pilates expert Cassey Ho. I changed the recipe a bit by swapping in flaxseed meal instead of the fast-cook oatmeal Cassey used, because the glycemic load for instant oats is higher. I also used one and a half teaspoons of honey, because I don't like the taste of stevia. Finally, I added in the chia seeds for a little more fiber, vitiamins and protein. Here’s Cassey’s video so you can see how quick and easy it is to make these:
FULL RECIPE: Paleo Gluten-Free 2-Minute Blueberry Muffin
Calories: 340 calories
Fat: 19 grams
Carbs: 18 grams
Protein: 12 grams
Fiber: 9 grams
Here's the link to view the full nutritional information on MyPlate, LIVESTRONG's free food and recipe calorie tracker. (Find out how to add YOUR recipes onto MyPlate so you can find out the amounts of calories, carbs, fat and protein in them.)
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup organic blueberries (I keep organic frozen blueberries in my freezer, so I always have some on-hand. Here’s why it’s important to buy organic blueberries.)
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon chia seed
- 1 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- dash of sea salt
1. Grease a large microwave-safe mug with half of the coconut oil.
2. Crack egg into mug, and stir with a fork until lightly beaten.
3. Stir in honey, vanilla extract, salt, coconut oil, flaxseed and chia seed until blended into a “batter.”
4. Gently fold in the blueberries, until they are distributed fairly evenly in the batter.
5. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. (Check the muffin's consistency. If it hasn't "set," put it back in for 30-60 more seconds.)
6. Turn the mug upside down over a small plate and gently tap the bottom so that the muffin falls onto the plate. Top it with a few spare blueberries and/or another drizzle of honey. Or, eat it out of the mug on-the-go.
Why Is This Muffin a Healthy Breakfast?
With just 340 calories and 12 grams of protein, this muffin is grain-free, gluten-free, paleo-friendly and high-protein. The egg alone boasts 6 grams of protein and 13 essential vitamins and minerals and all nine essential amino acids.
The other ingredients in this muffin are not slackers either! Both the flaxseed and the chia seed are excellent sources of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), an essential omega-3 fatty acid. (Based on the results of clinical trials, epidemiological investigations and experimental studies, ingestion of ALA has been suggested to have a positive impact on cardiovascular disease.) In addition to the protein and omega-3s, you're getting 9 grams of filling fiber found in the flaxseed meal and chia seed.
Blueberries are not only taste sweet and squishy in a muffin, but they also contain a diverse range of micronutrients, with moderate levels of manganese, vitamin C, and vitamin K. What's more, blueberries contain anthocyanins (flavonoids or keytone-containing compounds) and various phytochemicals under preliminary research for their potential role in reducing risks of diseases such as inflammation and cancer.
All this adds up to a healthy, tasty and filling breakfast! Also, check out my recipe for 2-Minute Paleo Pumpkin Microwave Muffins.
Readers - Do you love blueberry muffins too? Did you know you could make them paleo-friendly and gluten-free in just two minutes in the microwave? Will you try this recipe? Leave a comment below and let us know how it goes for you.