Your fitness journey is a lifestyle change, not a short-term fix. It shouldn't put a damper on your social life or family obligations ― it should be integrated into them.
What happens if there's a social or work event that requires dining at a restaurant? Don't panic. Eating out while watching your diet can be tricky, but with a little preparation you can navigate the treacherous waters of temptation without doing serious damage.
5 Tips for Planning Your Dinner Out
- Select a restaurant with healthy menu options.
- Check out the menu online and decide what you'll order before you get there.
- Consult the LIVESTRONG.COM Calorie Tracker — available on desktop and for iOS and Android devices ― because many of your favorite eateries are in there, making it easy to stay accountable and on track.
- Adjust your calories for the day accordingly, so you don't exceed your limit.
- Get your workout in ahead of time. You likely won't feel like it after eating out.
7 Tips for Healthy Eating On the Go
If it's spontaneous and you don't have time to strategize, don't worry. These tips will help you eat out without derailing your progress:
- Avoid alcohol ― stick with water, unsweetened teas or drinks without added sugars.
- Practice portion control ― eat half of your entree and ask for a doggy bag for the rest.
- On the side ― order salad dressings and sauces on the side, adding only the amount you need.
- Steer clear of fried and sautéed dishes ― opt for grilled, steamed or broiled dishes instead.
- Assert yourself ― don't be afraid to ask for modifications or substitutions to make your order healthier; your server should be happy to accommodate your requests.
- Take your time ― eat slowly to give your stomach enough time to tell your brain you're full.
- Swap out starchy sides ― trade potatoes, pastas and bread for steamed veggies or a side salad.
Use these tips to eat out with confidence, be social and stay on track. Bon appétit!
Get Daily Motivation in Our Facebook Group
For daily support, motivation and camaraderie with LIVESTRONG.COM team members, join our 30-Day Slim Down Facebook Group. We'll share daily recipes, tips, motivations, pictures and more! Plus, we'll answer all your questions.
Sign up for our newsletter if you want periodic reminders to get linked up with helpful LIVESTRONG.COM articles and tips.
Read More About Eating Out While Slimming Down:
Readers — Are you joining us in the 30-Day Slim Down Challenge? If so, what is your weight-loss goal? Have you ever done a weight loss fitness challenge group before? How did it go for you? Have you joined our LIVESTRONG.COM 30-Day Slim Down Group on Facebook? Leave a comment below and let us know.