Stress. We all have it, and we all manage it differently. There's good stress and bad stress. In fact, a little bit of stress can actually be a good thing! Some people thrive with a consistent amount of stress in their lives. However, when stress starts taking over your life, that's never a good thing.
Common Negative Side Effects of Stress
- Weight gain
- Impaired ability to sleep
- Weakened immune system
- Increased allergy attacks
- Decreased sexual performance, erectile dysfunction and/or loss of libido
6 Tips for Managing Your Stress
- Know thyself. Be aware of your stress triggers and be proactive in how you handle them.
- Go work out. Exercise reduces stress hormones, boosts energy and releases endorphins.
- Relax. Consciously controlling the way you react to stress can help minimize it.
- Stretch it out. When stress hits, your muscles tense up, so perform some basic stretches to stay loose.
- Hydrate. Drinking plenty of water will help your body better handle the effects of stress.
- LOL. A good laugh can counteract the effects of stress, so fire up your favorite comedy clips or visit your favorite funny websites for some quick comic relief.
Manage your stress — don't let it manage you!
Lose More Weight With a Calorie Tracker App
Documenting your food and activity might seem like overkill, but it’s not. People who track their calories and physical activities enjoy greater success losing weight and keeping it off for good!
Tracking everything honestly is essential to making the 30-Day Get Lean in 2017 Challenge work for you. Sometimes you’re not even aware of everything you consume, but once you start tracking it, you’ll think twice before you make poor choices. And that’s a good thing.
- Daily meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and snacks
- Exercise and activity
- BMI (Body Mass Index)
Get Daily Motivation in Our Facebook Group
For daily support, motivation and camaraderie with LIVESTRONG.COM team members, join our Facebook Challenge Group. We'll share recipes, tips, motivations, pictures and more! Plus, we'll answer all your questions.
Sign up for our newsletter if you want periodic reminders to get linked up with helpful LIVESTRONG.COM articles and tips.
Read More About Reducing Stress
Readers — Are you joining us in the 30-Day Get Lean in 2017 Challenge? If so, what's your weight-loss goal? Have you ever done a weight-loss challenge group before? How did it go for you? Have you joined our LIVESTRONG.COM Challenge Group on Facebook? Leave a comment below and let us know.