Age spots are blemishes that surface on the skin due to excess melanin -- a direct consequence of sun exposure or artificial ultraviolet light. Although laser treatments are generally considered the most effective way to reduce age spots, many DIY-ers have used yogurt as a home remedy. As a spot treatment and a diet staple, it has some anti-aging benefits worth noting.
Say 'Yes' to Yogurt
Yogurt is rich in lactic acid, which lightens and exfoliates skin. Apply it directly to affected areas for 20 to 30 minutes or combine it with a powdered facial mask to increase the lightening effect. To create a natural, spot-busting bleach, Reader's Digest recommends blending one teaspoon of plain yogurt and 1 teaspoon of honey, applying it once a day for 30 minutes and rinsing afterward. As a bonus, honey has antibacterial benefits.
Preventive Measures to Take Against Age Spots
Allure recommends using gentle cleansers with microbeads rather than gritty facial scrubs, as skin irritation can cause increased melanin production and, consequently, more age spots. Wearing sunscreen on a daily basis is the easiest, tried-and-true preventive step you can take -- yogurt or any other remedy won't help if you overexpose yourself to the sun.
- Allure: Yogurt Glow
- Oprah Magazine: Beauty By the Decade: The Trick to Getting Rid of Age Spots
- Allure: 3 Things You Didn't Know about Sun Spots
- Prime Health Channel: Solar Lentigo
- Oprah: How to Hide Age Spots
- Hip Moms Go Green: Natural Remedies Hit The Spot-5 Safe and Effective Ingredients to Fade Age and Sun Spots
- Reader's Digest: How to Treat and Prevent Age Spots