In tropical areas of the world, women have used coconut oil for centuries to keep their hair soft, shiny and healthy. Coconut shampoo may even help prevent damage to the hair. According to a study published in 2003 in the Journal of Cosmetic Science, coconut oil reduces protein loss of damaged and undamaged hair when used before and after washing. Researchers note that coconut oil has a high affinity for hair proteins and unlike other oils, can penetrate the hair shaft.
Bring 3/4 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from the heat, add the unscented shampoo base, and stir until well combined.
Add the salt, coconut oil and jojoba oil to the soap and water mixture. Stir vigorously with a wire whisk until the ingredients are well combined.
Add the vanilla and coconut fragrance oils to the shampoo mixture. Stir well until you achieve a smooth, thick gel-like consistency.
Place a small funnel in the top of a plastic squeeze bottle. Pour the shampoo through the funnel and into the bottle to prevent spilling. Secure the lid in place.
Store the coconut shampoo in the shower, and use about 1 tbsp. per application. Massage into the hair and scalp thoroughly, and rinse with warm water.
Tips and Warnings
- Purchase concentrated shampoo base at local craft and hobby stores, or order online. If unavailable, use unscented baby shampoo or liquid castile soap instead. Janice Cox, author of "Natural Beauty for All Seasons," recommends rinsing your hair with a coconut milk hair rinse after shampooing. For best results, simply pour fresh coconut milk over your hair as the final rinse. Purchase virgin coconut oil for use in homemade cosmetics if possible. Virgin oil is made from fresh coconuts and experiences less processing and refining. This leaves more of its healing properties intact, according to Bruce Fife in his book "Coconut Cures."
Things You'll Need
- Medium saucepan
- 1/4 cup Concentrated shampoo base
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tbsp. Coconut oil
- 2 tsp. Jojoba oil
- Wire whisk
- 10 drops Vanilla fragrance oil
- 10 drops Coconut fragrance oil
- Small funnel
- 12 oz. Plastic squeeze bottle