A toothache isn’t typically a medical emergency, but it should always be examined by a dental care professional. Common causes of tooth pain include gum infection, tooth decay and trapped food or debris. MedlinePlus points out that dental care, such as antibiotics or a filling, may be needed to permanently cure a toothache. While waiting for a dental appointment, peroxide home remedies may help reduce the pain or bacteria causing the pain.
Water and Peroxide Rinse
Mix equal parts 3 percent hydrogen peroxide and warm water into a glass. MotherNature.com recommends swishing this solution around the mouth for 30 seconds before spitting it into the sink. It is important not to swallow peroxide as it is a mild acid. This rinse can be repeated after every meal to fight off bacteria or gingivitis that may be causing the toothache.
Two Step Rinse
Hydrogen peroxide does have a slightly acidic taste and can be bubbly when placed in the mouth alone. If tolerable, swish a small amount of peroxide around the mouth focusing on the painful tooth. Spit the peroxide in the sink and follow up with a mixture of 1 teaspoon of salt in 6 oz of warm water states Worldental.org. This rinse can loosen debris and the salt can offer temporary pain relief for tooth pain caused by sore or irritated gums.
Baking Soda and Peroxide
Baking soda and peroxide are combined in several commercial toothpastes for supposed whitening purposes. Brushing the affected tooth with these products may remove build up but their efficacy in treating gingivitis or other painful dental problems has yet to be established states the University of Maryland Medical Center.
DermNetNZ.org warns that using even household grade, or 3 percent, hydrogen peroxide solutions in the mouth can be dangerous. Rinsing with and swallowing peroxide can lead to the burning of oral tissues, abdominal pain, vomiting and foaming at the mouth. Inhaling the vapors can irritate the nose, throat and respiratory tract. Higher concentrations, such as 10 percent hydrogen peroxide, can be fatal. The eyes and skin can burn from contact of the solution. In some cases the skin may be temporarily bleached.