zig
0

Notifications

  • You're all caught up!

Almonds and a Metallic Taste in My Mouth

by
author image Diane Marks
Diane Marks started her writing career in 2010 and has been in health care administration for more than 30 years. She holds a registered nurse license from Citizens General Hospital School of Nursing, a Bachelor of Arts in health care education from California University of Pennsylvania and a Master of Science in health administration from the University of Pittsburgh.
Almonds and a Metallic Taste in My Mouth
A bowl of roasted almonds on a table. Photo Credit GooDween123/iStock/Getty Images

The taste of metal in your mouth after eating almonds is most likely the result of an allergic reaction. According to FamilyDoctoor.org, a metallic taste is a common symptom of a food allergy. Almonds are considered a tree nut, a common food that can trigger an allergic reaction. Eating other nuts may cause similar symptoms because of cross-contamination or a general tree nut allergy. Most nuts are processed together with other types of nuts, presenting an opportunity for the proteins from one nut to contaminate another. Call your doctor to discuss your symptoms.

Almond Allergy

Almonds are a common food allergen. An almond allergy occurs when your immune system accidentally identifies the proteins in the almonds as dangerous when they are actually harmless. The almond itself is not harmful to your body, but the body reacts as if it is. In responding to this mistake, the body creates immunoglobulin E, or IgE, antibodies, histamine and other chemicals. The production of histamine in your body can affect your digestive tract, skin, respiratory system and cardiovascular system.

You Might Also Like

Metallic Taste

The metallic taste in your mouth is a result of increased inflammation in the throat and digestive tract. As histamine levels increase, your intestines and respiratory system become irritated and swollen. This can lead to other symptoms aside from just a metallic taste in the mouth, such as diarrhea, vomiting, wheezing, shortness of breathe, difficulty breathing, nausea, lightheadedness, dizziness and chest pain. If you become unable to breathe normally and you notice that your face is swelling, you should call 911 or visit the emergency room.

Avoidance

The most effective way to prevent an allergic reaction to almonds is to avoid eating all tree nuts. All food manufactures are required by law to place an allergy warning on all foods that contain almonds and other tree nuts. Almonds may be found in cookies, candy, chocolate, flavored coffee, cold cuts and cereals. Some almond proteins may be found in almond oil, so it should not be consumed either. Always read the foods package before eating any food.

Treatment

If you accidentally ingest almonds and you’re allergic to them, you need to call your doctor right away. Taking an antihistamine may help reduce your minor symptoms. If you develop a severe allergic reaction you will require epinephrine, a prescription medication used to treat anaphylaxis.

Related Searches

LiveStrong Calorie Tracker
THE LIVESTRONG.COM MyPlate Nutrition, Workouts & Tips
GOAL
  • Gain 2 pounds per week
  • Gain 1.5 pounds per week
  • Gain 1 pound per week
  • Gain 0.5 pound per week
  • Maintain my current weight
  • Lose 0.5 pound per week
  • Lose 1 pound per week
  • Lose 1.5 pounds per week
  • Lose 2 pounds per week
GENDER
  • Female
  • Male
lbs.
ft. in.

References

Demand Media