zig
0

Notifications

  • You're all caught up!

Food Poisoning With Cottage Cheese

by
author image Diane Marks
Diane Marks started her writing career in 2010 and has been in health care administration for more than 30 years. She holds a registered nurse license from Citizens General Hospital School of Nursing, a Bachelor of Arts in health care education from California University of Pennsylvania and a Master of Science in health administration from the University of Pittsburgh.
Food Poisoning With Cottage Cheese
Spoiled cottage cheese will cause food poisoning. Photo Credit SarapulSar38/iStock/Getty Images

Food poisoning from cottage cheese is likely if you’ve eating cottage cheese that is sour. Dairy products have a certain shelf-life before they spoil and grow harmful bacteria, which produce toxins. If you eat cottage cheese that is contaminated with infectious organisms, the organisms will infect the lining of your digestive tract and cause adverse reactions in your body. Call your doctor at the first signs of food poisoning to determine the exact cause and what action you need to take.

Cause

Food poisoning from eating cottage cheese occurs when the cottage cheese is contaminated. The cottage cheese can become contaminated at any point during its manufacturie, or from improper food handling. For example, if the equipment used to make the cottage cheese becomes contaminated, the cottage cheese may contain the infectious organisms. The cheese can also become infected if you don’t wash your hands or utensils properly or if the cheese touches a surface that is contaminated. Eating cottage cheese that is past its sale date also poses a risk of food poisoning.

Symptoms

Symptoms from eating contaminated cottage cheese will develop within four to 36 hours after ingesting the cheese. The most common symptoms include fever, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, watery diarrhea, loss of appetite and stomach cramps. Your body is attempting to rid itself of the infectious organism. Diarrhea and vomiting can lead to dehydration, which can cause further complications. Symptoms of dehydration include dry mouth, light-headedness, dry skin and flushed skin. Call your doctor immediately if you think you’re dehydrated.

Treatment

Treat food poisoning from cottage cheese by discarding the remaining contaminated cottage cheese, modifying your diet and increasing liquids. The main focus of food poisoning treatment is to replenish the body with fluids and promote normal bowel movements. Eat bland foods, such as bananas, potatoes, cooked carrots, skinless chicken, rice and toast. Drink clear liquids, such as water, herbal teas and sports drinks. Avoid beverages that are high in sugar, contain alcohol and caffeine.

Consideration

Do not attempt to diagnose yourself. Food poisoning symptoms are similar to many other digestive conditions, such as lactose intolerance and a milk allergy. If you develop common food poisoning symptoms every time you eat cottage cheese, it is most like related to another condition. Your doctor will be able to clinically diagnose your condition with tests on your stool.

LiveStrong Calorie Tracker
THE LIVESTRONG.COM MyPlate Nutrition, Workouts & Tips
GOAL
  • Gain 2 pounds per week
  • Gain 1.5 pounds per week
  • Gain 1 pound per week
  • Gain 0.5 pound per week
  • Maintain my current weight
  • Lose 0.5 pound per week
  • Lose 1 pound per week
  • Lose 1.5 pounds per week
  • Lose 2 pounds per week
GENDER
  • Female
  • Male
lbs.
ft. in.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

CURRENTLY TRENDING

Demand Media

Our Privacy Policy has been updated. Please take a moment and read it here.