GNC Fish Oil is a nutritional supplement that contains eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic aid, which are fatty acids found in certain fish, such as salmon. These fats are classified as omega-3 fatty acids, and they may promote certain health benefits. These fatty acids are available in a wide range of supplements made by other brands, and you should consult a doctor before using GNC Fish Oil or any other supplements.
Reduced Risk of Heart Disease
Although some types of fat, saturated and trans fat, may increase your risk of heart disease, the fats in fish oil can be beneficial. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, omega-3 fatty acids may help you reduce the amount of fat in your blood and reduce your risk of stroke and heart attacks. Additionally, the center notes that omega-3 fatty acids may decrease your cholesterol levels.
Reduction of Body Fat
Dietary fat intake does not directly translate to body fat mass, and some fat intake may encourage fat loss. Fish oil and its omega-3 fatty acids, when used as part of a healthy diet, can encourage fat loss. A study from the December 2007 issue of The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that eight weeks of fish oil supplementation significantly reduced body fat. Participants consumed 3 g of fish oil each day, and GNC Fish Oil provides 0.9 g per pill, so consuming four of these pills would provide 3.6 g of fish oil, more than enough to match the study.
Improved Muscle Gain
GNC Fish Oil is calorie-dense, with 15 calories in each tablet -- most vitamins contain none -- so it can help you achieve the calorie surplus required for muscle gain. Additionally, research published in the February 2011 issue of "The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition" found that omega-3 fatty acids stimulated an increased rate of muscle protein synthesis, which is a key driver of muscle gain.
According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, fish oil may help improve the health of those with diabetes. This is because the omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil can help reduce increase HDL cholesterol and reduce triglyceride levels. The center notes that not all omega-3 fatty acids can heave these effects, so fish oil appears to be superior for diabetes improvements.
Reduced Arthritis Symptoms
GNC Fish Oil may help you reduce your symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. The University of Maryland Medical Center notes that some studies have found fish oil to help reduce feelings of stiffness and joint pain. However, fish oil does not prevent the progression of the disease or reduce joint damage. According to research in the January 2000 issue of The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, the minimum daily dose for arthritis improvements is 3 g, so you'd need four GNC Fish Oil pills to satisfy this recommendation.
- GNC.com: GNC Triple Strength Fish Oil
- University of Maryland Medical Center; Omega-3 Fatty Acids; June 2009
- "The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition"; Treatment for 2 Mo with N 3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Reduces Adiposity and Some Atherogenic Factors but Does Not Improve Insulin Sensitivity in Women with Type 2 Diabetes: A Randomized Controlled Study; M. Kabir et al.; December 2007
- "The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition"; Dietary Omega-3 Fatty Acid Supplementation Increases the Rate of Muscle Protein Synthesis in Older Adults: A Randomized Controlled Trial; G.I. Smith et al.; February 2011
- "The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition"; N-3 Fatty Acid Supplements in Rheumatoid Arthritis; J.M. Kremer; January 2000