Brown spots on the skin can be caused by any number of factors, including sun exposure, hyperpigmentation and various skin conditions. If you want to help your child fade those spots on his face, you can try a few natural or over-the-counter remedies. Although these may take weeks or months to show noticeable results, your child may thank you for your persistence and efforts.
Use an over-the-counter skin fade cream on your child’s face. These may contain hydroquinone or other skin lightening ingredients. However, hydroquinone may cause skin irritation. These products can take several weeks or months of use to see results. If you’re unsure which one to choose, ask your health care provider for a recommendation.
Squeeze some fresh lemon juice onto a cotton ball. Rub the juice on your child’s spots at bedtime and leave it on overnight. Remind your child to wash his face in the morning. Lemon juice has a natural bleaching effect and may slowly lighten the spots on the skin.
Pull out some apple cider vinegar. SkinCareGuide.com suggests mixing one-half teaspoon apple cider vinegar with a few tablespoons of orange juice in a ceramic bowl or cup. Use a cotton ball to spread some of the liquid on your child’s spots. It may take several weeks to fade the area. If you notice any skin irritation, wash the liquid off of the skin immediately and discontinue use.
Apply some castor oil to your child’s spots twice a day. Make sure to keep the oil away from your child’s eyes. This thick oil penetrates deeply into the skin and may lighten brown spots over time.
- American Academy of Dermatology: Melasma
- American Academy of Dermatology; Tinea Versicolor; Signs and Symptoms
- New Health Guide: Lemon Juice on Skin
- KidsHealth: What are Freckles?
- Skin Care Guide; Age Spots Removal; Does Apple Cider Vinegar Really Work?
- American Academy of Dermatology: Dermatologists Shed Light on Common Pigmentation Problems and Solutions in Skin of Color
- The Royal Children’s Hospital Melbourne: Mastocytosis
- iDoc24: Children’s Skin Conditions
- Granny Med: Castor Oil for Brown Spots