3 DIY Beauty Recipes for Healthy, Radiant Summer-Ready Skin
By JENNIFER YEN
Summer is right around the corner, which means it's skin-baring season! Here are some DIY beauty recipes to help you look healthy and radiant all summer long.
It's important to stay hydrated. I drink water with lemon every day (hot and room-temperature), which has amazing health and beauty benefits: It hydrates and beautifies skin from within, detoxifies the body, aids digestion, purifies blood and relieves bloating. For long days at the beach, you can also infuse water with cucumber, strawberries, oranges or blueberries, which are all refreshing, delicious and healthy.
Don't forget to protect your skin from damaging UV rays. SPF is always important, regardless of skin type. Keep in mind the higher the SPF, the more irritating it can be for sensitive skin. SPF 30 blocks 97 percent of the sun's damaging rays.
Brightening Face Scrub Recipe
Our skin generates new skin cells every 14 to 28 days. To keep skin looking fresh, smooth and supple, it's important to exfoliate dead skin cells every 7 to 14 days, depending on your skin type. For sensitive skin, exfoliate every 10 to 14 days.
Brightening Face Scrub Recipe
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
* 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. Mix together scrub ingredients in small bowl.
2. Using warm water, wash face with your favorite cleanser (I recommend my company's pur~lisse gentle soymilk cleanser and makeup remover. Washing your face with warm water will open pores to ensure deeper cleaning.
3. Use the scrub mixture to exfoliate your lightly wet skin with gentle circular motion (no tugging) for 45 to 60 seconds.
4. Rinse, then wash your face again with your cleanser of choice.
This Scrub's Beauty Benefits:
* Properly cleaning your skin and exfoliating dead skin cells will not only make your skin look more alive, your skin will see more benefits from the DIY facial masks.
* Olive oil is an ancient beauty secret that helps to soften the skin.
* Brown sugar is a gentle natural ingredient that will not irritate and is ideal for sensitive skin. The glycolic acid properties help protect skin from toxins.
* Lemon juice gently exfoliates, which can help diminish acne scars and sun damage, revealing a brighter complexion.
Now that your skin is properly cleaned and exfoliated, it's ready to take in all the benefits of my brightening mask...
Papaya Anti-Aging Brightening Mask Recipe
* 1/2 fresh papaya, remove seeds and dice
* 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
* 1 teaspoon honey
* 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
* 1 organic egg white (free from hormones and pesticides)
1. For an extra-smooth mask, blend ingredients in a food processor or blender.
2. Alternatively, use the back of a fork to mix the papaya with yogurt, honey, lemon juice and egg white to form a paste.
3. Apply to face and neck and leave on for 20 to 30 minutes.
4. Rinse with tepid water and avoid any harsh soaps or cleansers. Then moisturize with your favorite moisturizer.
* Papaya, abundant in natural AHAs, acts as a natural exfoliant.
* Greek yogurt contains lactic acid and double the amount of protein as regular yogurt, which helps keep skin smooth.
* Honey is an antioxidant that binds moisture to skin.
* Lemon juice gently exfoliates, which helps diminish acne scars and sun damage, revealing a brighter complexion.
* Organic egg whites are high in protein, and they help rebuild skin and tighten pores.
Glow head to toe with an all-over body smoother from neck to feet :
Coconut and Citrus Body Smoother
* 1/4 cup of coconut milk
* 3/4 cup of brown sugar
* 1/4 cup of coconut oil
* 3 tablespoons of juice from fresh grapefruit
1. Mix together to create a paste.
2. Polish entire body and feet/soles by using circular motion.
3. Rinse and moisturize.
Readers -- Do you enjoy making and trying natural DIY beauty treatments? Will you try these recipes and tips? Let us know how it goes by leaving a comment below!
Jennifer Yen is an entrepreneur and former TV villainess on “The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.” She now enjoys saving complexions with her skincare company, pur~lisse beauty, inspired by her grandmother's Asian beauty rituals. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram.