3 Quick Out of the Box Breakfast Ideas
Do you love breakfast but feel bored and uninspired when it comes to your first meal of the day? I know the feeling. The demands of the morning are tremendous, and a delicious and leisurely breakfast is a Monday through Friday fantasy for most of us. Breakfast is a great way to start your day of eating off right, yet one in 10 Americans skips breakfast. So let me give you some quick, healthy and tasty ideas to inspire you.
1. YOGURT REINVENTED
I'm a huge fan of Greek yogurt. It comes in a wide array of flavors, but I say go for the plain and add your own delicious mix-ins. Pair your yogurt with some healthful fat and fruit, then spice it up for a complete, quick and satisfying meal.
Here are some of my favorite combos to add to 1/2 cup of low fat Greek yogurt:
- 10 almonds, 1 tablespoon canned pumpkin and a pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries, 2 teaspoons flax meal and pinch of cinnamon
- 1 cup blueberries, 1 teaspoon chia seeds and ginger for garnish and a little bite
- 1/2 cup diced green apple, 2 teaspoons peanut butter and a sprinkle of cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup granola (look for one without added sugars), 1 tablespoon of raisins and a sprinkle of matcha green tea powder
2. THE ULTIMATE GRAB ‘N GO BREAKFAST MIX
A piece of toast with a smear of butter or jam is only convenient. It has practically no nutritional value, and you'll be starving in an hour. With a little planning, you can pull together a crunchy and flavorful breakfast that you can grab as you run out the door.
8 walnut halves
4 dried apricot halves
1 cup plain popcorn
1 tablespoon roasted sunflower seeds
1 tablespoon dried cherries
1. In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients.
2. Divide the mix into 1/2 cup portions and put them into little baggies or containers. You are now ready to go.
3. LUNCH FOR BREAKFAST – BREAKFAST WRAP
You’ve eaten a bowl of cereal for dinner and an omelet at noon. Why not try having typical lunch foods for breakfast? Pull out a couple of large romaine lettuce leafs (or other large lettuce leafs) as the wrap for your sandwich. Add a little deli, rotisserie chicken or leftover stir fry and a little cheese or avocado, and voila! Breakfast is served.
Wrap: Romaine, Boston lettuce, Butter lettuce or cabbage leaves
Filling: 4 slices turkey, ham, roast beef or chicken, or 4 oz. lean meat, chicken, fish or pork
Fats: 1/3 avocado, 1 oz. or slice of cheese, hardboiled egg, or drizzle of olive oil
1. Choose a wrap, a filling and a fat.
2. Place filling in wrap, and add a fat.
3. Roll it up, and enjoy.
Do these breakfast ideas sound good to you? Have you tried any of them? Let us know by leaving a comment below. Also, share YOUR favorite fast breakfast ideas below.
Keri is a contributing editor and advisory board member for Women's Health Magazine, and is the Nutrition and Health contributor for NBC's New York Live. She is regularly featured on national television programs including NBC's The Today Show, ABC's Good Morning America, Access Hollywood Live, The View, The Talk, The Chew, Dr. Oz, The Doctors, The Rachael Ray Show, The Steve Harvey Show, MSNBC, The Fox News Channel, and CNN. Keri hosts an original series called "A Little Bit Better" which is featured on LIVESTRONG.COM
Keri resides in New York City with her children, Rex and Maizy. Whether she is training for a marathon, going to the farmers' market, or drinking her nightly cup of herbal tea, Keri lives and breathes a Nutritious Life while inspiring others to do the same.