10 Tips to Recommit to Fitness and Reach Your Goals
By JESS BARRON
How are your 2015 fitness goals coming along? Did they fall by the wayside somewhere back in February or March? Now that it's officially spring, it's a perfect time to recommit to getting yourself fit in time for summer.
Here are 10 tips to help you achieve success:
1. Read the stories and check out BEFORE and AFTER photos from LIVESTRONG.COM members who have succeeded at their fitness and weight loss goals. For instance, here are my photos and tips from losing 20 pounds as a part of a Beachbody test group in 2012. Many LIVESTRONG members have lost much more weight than I did by using the tools on this website and committing to their goals! Lisa D. lost 42 pounds by doing barre workouts combined with running. Lori H. lost 54 pounds by doing kickboxing classes and running. Korey H. Lost 89 Pounds and got himself back to playing tennis. And Leslie S. lost 97 pounds by going to the gym and doing weightlifting as well as running and other cardio. Their stories will inspire you that you can do this!
2. Take your own BEFORE photo to inspire yourself. You don’t even have to show it to anyone! Here’s how you do it. Simply having your BEFORE photo can help to motivate you to achieve success. Plus, you can submit your BEFORE and AFTER photos each month to win $250 in our monthly contest. Press “play” to watch the video below to get more info and tips on how to take your BEFORE photos:
3. Tell your friends and family about your fitness goals. Talk to them in person, and perhaps consider posting about it on Facebook and/or other social-media outlets. That way, you'll have that many more people to encourage you as well as more people to answer to.
4. Sign up for LIVESTRONG's 30-day Start STRONG Challenge and we'll send you daily emails with motivation and tips for healthy eating and exercise.
5. Track a day's worth of food to find out if you've been going overboard. Use MyPlate, LIVESTRONG's calorie tracker app, to get a sense of how many calories you're consuming per day. It could surprise you and help you to get back on track.
6. Now that the weather is better, get out there and start walking, running or cycling. Here are 17 motivations to get you running. Plan to do one of these activities at least five to six days per week with one rest day per week.
7. Start a professionally created eight-week daily workout program, such as LIVESTRONG's free STRONGER program, which also comes with a free meal plan.
8. Buy yourself a fitness-tracking gadget such as FitBit, Jawbone Up or the Misfit Shine. Or maybe get yourself some new workout clothes, sneakers or a gym bag. Purchasing any of these things can help motivate you to get out there and exercise to make use of them.
9. Keep your workout playlist fresh by adding new songs weekly. Find new tracks and get recommendations from your friends. You will perform better with music you enjoy and that pushes you to keep going.
10. Take encouragement from the LIVESTRONG Community. Get tips on tracking food, losing weight, running and more from real LIVESTRONG members (including Ashley Donahoo) who have used the site and tools to lose weight and keep it off.
Jess Barron is Editor-in-Chief of LIVESTRONG.COM. Read some of her other health and fitness articles here. A longtime foodie and fan of farmers markets, Jess particularly loves heirloom tomatoes, fresh figs with burrata cheese and anything with pumpkin or peanut butter in it! Her love for food fuels her desire to exercise daily. In the summer of 2012 Jess lost 20 pounds in a test group for a new fitness program. Some of her favorite workout routines include walking, running, yoga, P90X, INSANITY and mixed martial arts. Jess's writing can also be found at Poprocks.com. She has appeared on MSNBC's The Most, ABC News Now and XM satellite radio, and her writing has appeared on Wired.com and Yahoo.