Jillian Michaels’ 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Budget
By JILLIAN MICHAELS
People always want to know what's in my fridge, what's in my pantry and what are some of my tricks to get healthy and stay that way — without breaking the bank. One of the most common complaints I hear is that good, healthy food isn't affordable or accessible, so I thought I’d share a few of my go-to secrets that help you save time, money and live a healthy lifestyle no matter where you live or what your budget is. Here are some of my tried-and-true tips and resources:
1. Hit up your local farmers market for affordable pesticide-free veggies and hormone-free meats. These really are the best places to get seasonal, farm-fresh produce. Plus, you know you aren’t getting any artificial junk.
2. Coupon clipping is certainly a money-saving health hack. It can be a bit time consuming, though, so I use Thrive Market to get all my favorite health food at super-low prices. They always have everything I want at deep discounts and I don’t have to print or cut out coupons. Saves you money, time and helps you lose weight.
3. Buy in bulk. I always go straight to the bulk bins for my beans, nuts and grains. It’s far cheaper than packaged brands and almost all the food you’ll find in the bulk section is natural and minimally processed.
4. Either buy your veggies in season or buy them frozen. Seasonal vegetables are much cheaper than out-of-season tropical fruits that have been shipped in from halfway around the world. If you really need something that isn’t local, frozen veggies are the next best thing.
5. Cut your spending on meat by shopping for cheaper cuts of meat, like a T-bone steak instead of a filet. You’ll get all the flavor at half the price.
6. Support a CSA for farm-fresh veggies and join Thrive Market, the equivalent for non-perishable goods. For less than $5 a month, you can buy all your favorite healthy foods on Thrive Market at wholesale prices without the retail mark-up you’d find at other grocery stores. Everything is 25 to 50 percent cheaper -- once you join, you may save hundreds or thousands of dollars on your annual grocery bill. Even better, they offer speedy, free nationwide shipping on orders over $50. Plus, these guys have their own take on one-for-one giving: For every membership sold, they donate a free membership to a low-income family. I LOVE this!
Hope these tips are helpful to you and your family.
Readers - Have you tried any of these tips to keep healthy eating on a budget? Have they worked for you? Do you have other tips to recommend? Leave a comment below and let us know!
Jillian Michaels has built an empire empowering people to live a healthy life for more than 20 years. Michaels is a New York Times best-selling author, Daytime Emmy-nominated television personality, entrepreneur and motivational speaker. She is also an ambassador for Thrive Market. Michaels will return to television this fall to host Spike TV's Sweat, Inc. followed by the docu-series, Just Jillian, premiering on E! in January 2016.