#Mealprepmonday Recipe: Skinny Turkey Taco Salad
By LILI LADAGA
It’s a new year and it’s time to get real about creating good food habits. With that in mind, welcome to LIVESTRONG.COM’s first #mealprepmonday recipe to help you get on track and stay there!
Looking for an easy and healthy meal prep recipe for the week? Enter the Skinny Turkey Taco Salad. In just 15 minutes, you can have four delicious and healthy salads prepped and ready to go for the week.
Skinny Turkey Taco Salad
(For full nutritional information, here is a link to the recipe we created in MyPlate).
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
* 1 small onion, chopped
* 1 cup red pepper
* 8 ounces black beans
* 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
* 2 limes
* 1 cup shredded Monterey jack
* 8 tablespoons salsa
* 20 ounces lean ground turkey
* 4 teaspoons ground cumin
* 4 teaspoons chili powder
* salt to taste
1. Sauté the onion in a pan until translucent, about 3 minutes.
2. Add the turkey, chili powder, cumin and salt.
3. Cook, stirring constantly, until the turkey is browned, 7-10 minutes. Once cooked through, let cool.
4. Place the lettuce evenly in four containers.
5. Evenly distribute red pepper and black beans in the containers.
6. Once turkey is cool, place evenly on top of salad in four containers.
7. Garnish with the lime wedges, salsa and cheese. Wait to squeeze the lime on top of salad before eating.
Readers — Do you meal prep? What are some of your favorite recipes to prep ahead of time? Leave a comment below and share your meal prep tips! And check back here every Monday for a new #mondaymealprep recipe.
Want more content like this? Sign up for the LIVESTRONG.COM newsletter!