Most Popular LIVESTRONG Content of 2013
By JESS BARRON
What was 2013 like for you? Did it fly by? It did for us at LIVESTRONG.COM!
We kept ourselves busy in 2013.
And I'm not just talking about all the running, cycling and workouts we did!
We created and launched a daily premium workout video series called STRONGER. We launched new bloggers including celebrity nutrition and fitness expert J.J. Virgin, nutritionist and trainer Jennifer Cassetta, naturopathic doctor Brooke Kalanick, Equinox yoga teacher Jennifer Pastiloff, "Biggest Loser" Season 11 trainer and 20-Minute Body creator Brett Hoebel, LIVESTRONG.COM 137-pound weight loss Success Story Ashley Donahoo, and trainer and nutrition coach Courtney Prather.
We also updated the free MyPlate iPhone app to add a barcode scanner and other cool features. And we created a brand new Conversations area where you can discuss food, fitness, gear and more with the entire LIVESTRONG.COM audience. As a little "holiday season" bonus, we updated the features and design on the desktop version of MyPlate this week to make it easier to use.
In addition to all that, we launched several hundred slideshows, blog posts and feature articles that received millions of page views, Facebook "likes," Google +1s and Pinterest pins. Here are the ones that ranked as most popular with LIVESTRONG readers based on page views, comments and social shares.
10 Most Popular Slideshows:
1. 18 Foods With a ‘Bad’ Rap That Are Actually Good for You 9.4 million page views and 4,900 Facebook “likes”
2. 21 Foods That Sound Healthy, But Are Not 6.5 million page views and 2,700 Facebook “likes”
3. Spring Clean Your Workout Routine, 21 Bad Habits to Toss Today 5.1 million page views and 1,200 Facebook “likes”
4. Eating Secrets to Help You Lose Weight and Save Money Too 4.8 million page views and 970 Facebook “likes”
5. 11 Banned Food Ingredients Still Allowed in the U.S. 4.6 million page views and 12,000 Facebook “likes”
6. Celebrity Weight Loss ‘Before’ and ‘Afters‘ 3.8 million page views and 357 Faceobook “likes”
7. Exercises from the World's Best Trainers 3.6 million page views and 483 Facebook “likes”
8. 20 Foods to ALWAYS Buy Organic - Even If You're on a Budget! 3.6 million page views and 3,500 Facebook “likes”
9. Snacks That Are OK to Eat at Night 2.8 million page views and 902 Facebook “likes”
10. 17 Diet-Friendly Healthful Carbs 2.4 million page views and 790 Facebook “likes”
10 Most Popular Blog Posts and Feature Articles:
1. Eggs or Cereal? Which is the Better Breakfast for Weight Loss? 150,000 page views and 1,200 Facebook “likes”
2. Should I be Eating Egg Yolks Every Day? 134,000 page views and 718 Facebook “likes”
3. What's REALLY Inside Your Egg McMuffin? 128,000 page views and 9,600 Facebook “likes”
4. Whey Protein Doesn't Help Build Muscle? No Way. 103,000 page views and 668 Facebook “likes”
5. Easy-to-Pack Lunches Under 500 Calories (That Cost $8.50 or Less) 103,000 page views and 700 Facebook “likes”
6. What's REALLY Inside Those McDonald's French Fries? 90,000 page views and 2,500 Facebook “likes”
7. Why Your Workout Could Be Making You Fat 89,000 page views and 989 Facebook “likes”
8. My Recipe for the Virgin Diet Shake 83,000 page views and 377 Facebook “likes”
9. Introducing a Stronger Way to Get Fit 81,000 page views and 169 Facebook “likes”
10. What's REALLY Inside Those McDonald's Chicken McNuggets? 71,000 page views and 1,700 Facebook “likes”
4 Most Popular Videos:
1. Tone It Up Girls Bikini Bootcamp 129,000 views and 513 Facebook “likes”
2. Bombastic Booty Pilates Workout on the Ball 105,000 views and 442 Facebook “likes”
3. Sweet Dreams: How to Get More Restful Sleep 99,000 views and 638 Facebook “likes”
4. Targeting Love Handles 71,000 views and 552 Facebook “likes”
Readers - What did you think of these most popular pieces from the past year? Which was your favorite? Were there any pieces that you enjoyed that didn't end up on the "most popular" list? What do you want to see more of in 2014? Leave a comment below and let us know.
Jess Barron is Editor-in-Chief of LIVESTRONG.COM. Read some of her other health and fitness articles here. A longtime foodie and fan of Farmer's Market food, Jess particularly loves heirloom tomatoes, fresh figs with burrata cheese, and anything with pumpkin or peanut butter in it! Her love for food fuels her desire to exercise daily. Some of her favorite workout routines include walking, running, yoga, P90X, INSANITY, and mixed martial arts. Jess's writing can also be found at Poprocks.com. She has appeared on MSNBC's "The Most," ABC News Now, and XM satellite radio and her writing has appeared on Wired.com and Yahoo!