1. Rinse lentils and remove stones and mud
2. Heat 2 tbls of the water in large saucepan. Add onions, ginger and garlic and cook about 6 minutes until onions are translucent.
3. Add lentils, remaining water, milk, pumpkin, curry powder, cayenne, coconut, and whole chilis. Cook over med-low heat until lentils and mushy but still retain body and texture, 1 to 2 hours.
4. Stir occasionally and monitor evaporation. If liquid evaporates too quickly add more water or non-dairy milk.
5. Add salt and remove chilis. Serve over rice of choice
can also cook in a slow cooker