Harmful Side Effects of Black Mold

...

Black mold, also referred to as mold or mildew, is a type of fungus that produces a fluffy or powdery growth on surfaces. Black mold is able to grow on many household surfaces, such as carpets, cloth, leather, wood, insulation and food. Exposure to black mold can lead to several health problems, which vary according to the method of contact. Symptoms of black mold exposure can be classified into four categories: allergies, irritations, infections and toxicities.

Allergies

An allergic response is the most common symptom of black mold exposure. Individuals who are allergic to black mold may experience sneezing, watery eyes, redness and itching of the skin and headache.

Irritations

Irritations due to black mold exposure result when the fungus degrades substances in order to live and in the process produces volatile organic compounds. VOCs cause the moldy or mildewy odor associated with the presence of molds. Exposure to VOCs may cause irritation of your mucous membranes and central nervous system. Symptoms associated with this type of exposure may include nosebleeds, coughing up black-appearing sputum, constant headaches, dizziness, decreased attention span and difficulty in concentrating.

Infections

Infections due to black mold exposure are extremely rare, but they can occur. People with weakened immune systems due to HIV/AIDS or chemotherapy may have an increased susceptibility to infection due to black mold. The scientific name for the fungus that causes black mold is Aspergillus niger. A lung infection known as aspergillosis may occur if large quantities of Aspergillus niger are inhaled. Symptoms associated with apergillosis include fever, coughing up blood and wheezing. In addition, if black mold spores get into that ear canal, a fungal ear infection may occur. Symptoms associated with this ear infection include ear pain and temporary hearing loss, and it's possible for the infection to damage the ear canal.

Toxicity

Black mold may also produce a poisonous substance called mycotoxins. According to the website BlackToxicMolds.com, black molds do not constantly produce mycotoxins. Black molds produce most mycotoxins in areas with constant moisture such as behind wall panels, in ceilings or under carpets. Michael Bains' article titled "Black Mold Symptoms" on the website PlanetMold.com states that toxicity can occur when humans contact these mycotoxins either by ingestion or skin contact. Black mold toxicity can cause life-altering or life-threatening medical conditions. It should be noted that toxicity from black mold exposure is extremely rare and the severity of this condition will differ from person to person. However, black mold toxicity can lead to blindness, brain damage, permanent memory loss, bleeding lungs, cancer and even death.

REFERENCES & RESOURCES
Comments
PARTNER & LICENSEE OF THE LIVESTRONG FOUNDATION

Copyright © 2018 Leaf Group Ltd. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the LIVESTRONG.COM Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Copyright Policy. The material appearing on LIVESTRONG.COM is for educational use only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. LIVESTRONG is a registered trademark of the LIVESTRONG Foundation. The LIVESTRONG Foundation and LIVESTRONG.COM do not endorse any of the products or services that are advertised on the web site. Moreover, we do not select every advertiser or advertisement that appears on the web site-many of the advertisements are served by third party advertising companies.