Pufferfish might look cool, but getting too close to or eating one can prove deadly, especially since the pufferfish’s toxic venom has no known antidote.
According to National Geographic, a pufferfish’s tetrodotoxin is 1,200 times more poisonous than cyanide, and one little pufferfish has enough of it to kill 30 adult humans. Holy smokes!
In Japan, the flesh of the puffer — called fugu — is considered a delicacy, but dine on it at your peril: It should only be prepared by licensed chefs who are trained to carefully remove the highly toxic parts like the liver and ovaries. The flesh and fins are edible, but these, too, can get contaminated with this lethal poison when the fish is being cleaned.
Native to: Pufferfish are most often found in tropical and subtropical waters. To sample the dangerous delicacy you’d have to go all the way to Japan, but we recommend you opt for some lovely, safe and delicious salmon instead.
Listen now: Why America’s Obsession with ‘Happiness’ Is Totally Stressing Us Out