Gold Member Badge


  • You're all caught up!

How to Put My Divorce on Hold

author image Mike Broemmel
Mike Broemmel began writing in 1982. He is an author/lecturer with two novels on the market internationally, "The Shadow Cast" and "The Miller Moth." Broemmel served on the staff of the White House Office of Media Relations. He holds a Bachelor of Arts in journalism and political science from Benedictine College and a Juris Doctorate from Washburn University. He also attended Brunel University, London.
How to Put My Divorce on Hold
A couple is having an argument.

At your option, or in concert with your spouse, you can seek to have your divorce proceedings put on hold, according to the American Bar Association Section of Family Law. For example, if you and your spouse decide you want to attempt a reconciliation, the court can suspend your divorce proceedings. The court can put a hold on your case for a specific period of time or indefinitely, depending on your circumstances.

Video of the Day

Step 1

Obtain a motion to suspend proceedings from the office of the court clerk where your divorce case is pending. The typical court clerk maintains a selection of standard forms for use by people without lawyers. These forms include instructions.

Step 2

Contact your spouse to confirm that he agrees to putting the divorce on hold for the time being. If you spouse objects to a suspension of the proceedings, the court likely will not put the case on hold.

Step 3

Complete the motion to suspend. Note that your spouse agrees with your request, if that is the case. State the specific reason why you wish to put the divorce proceedings on hold. For example, advise the court that you and your spouse are attempting a reconciliation. Sign the motion.

Step 4

Send a copy of the motion to suspend proceedings to your spouse. First-class mail likely suffices, as opposed to certified mail.

Step 5

File the motion with the clerk of the court.

Step 6

Obtain a hearing date and time from either the court clerk or the administrative assistant to the judge assigned your case. Notify your spouse of the hearing.

Step 7

Attend the hearing and present your position, together with any evidence, to support your request to put the case on hold.

LiveStrong Calorie Tracker
Lose Weight. Feel Great! Change your life with MyPlate by LIVESTRONG.COM
  • Gain 2 pounds per week
  • Gain 1.5 pounds per week
  • Gain 1 pound per week
  • Gain 0.5 pound per week
  • Maintain my current weight
  • Lose 0.5 pound per week
  • Lose 1 pound per week
  • Lose 1.5 pounds per week
  • Lose 2 pounds per week
  • Female
  • Male
ft. in.


Demand Media