How to Sign Full Custody Over to a Grandparent

If you reach a juncture in your life at which you and your spouse or partner cannot care for your child, you may need to sign full custody over to a grandparent. Despite some small differences in the laws associated with custody from state to state, the general process for signing over full custody to a grandparent is essentially the same no matter where you happen to reside, according to the American Bar Association Section of Family Law. Typically, signing over full custody to a grandparent occurs during the course of some type of judicial action--an abuse and neglect case or a paternity proceeding, for example.

A grandfather and granddaughter walking. (Image: Maria Teijeiro/DigitalVision/Getty Images)

Step 1

Obtain a voluntary child custody agreement form from the clerk of the court. Court clerks across the country usually maintain forms for use by people not represented by attorneys.

Step 2

Complete the form following the instructions provided by the court clerk. The agreement is not complicated. The process of filling it in basically requires the insertion of names of the parties.

Step 3

Sign the document. Both parents and the grandparent receiving custody should sign the agreement. Execute the document in front of a notary public.

Step 4

File the custody agreement with the clerk of the court in the pending judicial proceeding.


Due to the complexity of custody issues, laws and court procedures, seriously consider hiring an attorney. The American Bar Association provides resources designed to assist you in finding and retaining an experienced lawyer to assist you with your grandparent custody matter (see Resources).

Load comments

Copyright © 2019 Leaf Group Ltd. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the LIVESTRONG.COM Terms of Use , Privacy Policy and Copyright Policy . The material appearing on LIVESTRONG.COM is for educational use only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. LIVESTRONG is a registered trademark of the LIVESTRONG Foundation. The LIVESTRONG Foundation and LIVESTRONG.COM do not endorse any of the products or services that are advertised on the web site. Moreover, we do not select every advertiser or advertisement that appears on the web site-many of the advertisements are served by third party advertising companies.