Gold Member Badge


  • You're all caught up!

How to Transfer a Child Support Case to a Different State

author image Mike Broemmel
Mike Broemmel began writing in 1982. He is an author/lecturer with two novels on the market internationally, "The Shadow Cast" and "The Miller Moth." Broemmel served on the staff of the White House Office of Media Relations. He holds a Bachelor of Arts in journalism and political science from Benedictine College and a Juris Doctorate from Washburn University. He also attended Brunel University, London.
How to Transfer a Child Support Case to a Different State
A young girl kisses her dad in the park Photo Credit: Tommaso Tagliaferri/iStock/Getty Images

If a parent with a child support obligation, or the custodial parent, moves to another state, a court can entertain the possibility of transferring the case to that other jurisdiction, according to the American Bar Association Section of Family Law. Despite some minor variations in child support statutes and court-related procedures, the process for transferring a child support case to another state is largely the same no matter where you reside.

Video of the Day

Step 1

Go to the clerk of the court in the jurisdiction that currently handles your child support case, and obtain a motion to transfer form. The typical court clerk maintains different types of forms for use by people without legal representation.

Step 2

Complete the form, following the instructions provided to you by the court clerk.

Step 3

Include specific information about why you desire to transfer the case to another state. For example, you would mention if the parent with the obligation to pay child support moved to another state. Enforcement is easier by transferring the case to that other jurisdiction.

Step 4

Insert the specific location where you want to transfer the case, including the name of the court in the other state.

Step 5

Sign the motion and send a copy to the other parent.

Step 6

File the motion with the clerk of the court.

Step 7

Obtain a hearing date for your motion from either the clerk of the court or from the administrative assistant to the judge assigned your case. Notify the other parent of the date and time of the hearing.

Step 8

Attend the hearing and present evidence supporting your desire to transfer the case to the other jurisdiction. If the other parent agrees to the transfer, you can report that fact to the judge at the hearing.

LiveStrong Calorie Tracker
Lose Weight. Feel Great! Change your life with MyPlate by LIVESTRONG.COM
  • Gain 2 pounds per week
  • Gain 1.5 pounds per week
  • Gain 1 pound per week
  • Gain 0.5 pound per week
  • Maintain my current weight
  • Lose 0.5 pound per week
  • Lose 1 pound per week
  • Lose 1.5 pounds per week
  • Lose 2 pounds per week
  • Female
  • Male
ft. in.



Demand Media