Can a Child File a Restraining Order Against an Abusive Parent?

A mechanism exists for a child who is victimized by an abusive to access the court system to obtain a restraining order, according to the American Bar Association Section of Family Law. Although a child cannot petition a court herself in any type of legal proceeding because she is not of age, another adult can pursue a case on her behalf.

An adult can file a petition on behalf of a child to obtain a restraining order. (Image: Buccina Studios/Photodisc/Getty Images)

Interested Party

An adult with a recognized legal interest in a child who is abused can file a petition for a restraining order on behalf of that minor. Typically this is the other parent. However, it also can be a grandparent, aunt, uncle or another relative who interacts with the child and knows of her circumstances.

Guardian ad Litem

In the absence of a parent or another relative positioned to take action on behalf of the child, the court can appoint what is known as a guardian ad litem to pursue a restraining order for the child. A guardian ad litem is an attorney with experience in cases involving child protection issues.

Time Frame

If there is a reasonable belief that a child is abused by a parent, an emergency temporary restraining order can be issued by a judge without a prior hearing, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. An adult with a legal interest in the child, a social service worker or a member of law enforcement presents a statement under oath to a judge on behalf of the child to obtain this type of decree. Depending on the age of the child, a judge may question him in chambers.


A common misconception is that only a law enforcement official or a staff member from a social services agency can pursue a restraining order on behalf of a child. Other individuals have standing to appear in court on behalf of a child in a restraining order matter.

Expert Assistance

If you are the parent of a child who you believe is being abused by the other parent, or if you are related in some other manner to such a child, consider obtaining legal representation. Time is of the essence in obtaining a restraining order for a child in such a situation. The American Bar Association maintains resources to assist you in finding both lawyers to hire as well as organizations that provide no-cost representation in certain situations.

Load comments

Copyright © 2019 Leaf Group Ltd. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the LIVESTRONG.COM Terms of Use , Privacy Policy and Copyright Policy . The material appearing on LIVESTRONG.COM is for educational use only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. LIVESTRONG is a registered trademark of the LIVESTRONG Foundation. The LIVESTRONG Foundation and LIVESTRONG.COM do not endorse any of the products or services that are advertised on the web site. Moreover, we do not select every advertiser or advertisement that appears on the web site-many of the advertisements are served by third party advertising companies.