Tea tree essential oil is one alternative treatment for vaginal yeast infections. Tea tree oil, which has antibacterial and antifungal properties, work to fight different types of yeast infections. A 2006 study in “BMC Infectious Diseases” by Fracesca Mondello et al found terpinen-4-ol, an ingredient in tea tree oil, effective against vaginal yeast infections in rats. Researchers noted that tea tree oil could possibly be a treatment method for C. albicans vaginal infections. Choose one of the numerous methods using this essential oil for yeast infections. Speak to a certified aromatherapist on the proper ways to use essential oils and consult a doctor on the best treatment method for your yeast infection.
Video of the Day
Mix 1 drop tea tree essential oil and 1 drop lavender essential oil with 1 tsp. cider vinegar.
Allow the essential oils to dissolve in the vinegar, which takes a few minutes.
Pour the mixture into 2 c. warm water.
Pour the liquid into a douche bag.
Shake the contents and perform the douche according to the directions with the bag.
Fill the tub with enough water to cover your pelvis.
Blend 2 to 4 drops tea tree oil with 1 tsp. vegetable oil.
Add the oil to the bath and stir it into the water.
Sit in the bath for 10 to 15 minutes each day until your symptoms subside.
Purchase tea tree oil vaginal suppositories or tea tree oil cream at a health food store or pharmacy.
Insert a tea tree oil vaginal suppository into your vagina once a day or apply tea tree oil cream, following package directions.
Use the suppositories or cream until your symptoms subside.
- PubMed Central: In Vivo Activity of Terpinen-4-ol, The Main Bioactive Component of Melaleuca alternifolia Cheel (Tea Tree) Oil Against Azole-Susceptible and –Resistant Human Pathogenic Candida Species; Francesca Mondello et al; 2006
- "The Essential Natural Health Bible"; Nerys Purchon; 2006
- "The A-Z Guide to Healing with Essential Oils: Aromatherapy"; Shelagh Masline and Barbara Close; 1997
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Vaginitis
- Mayo Clinic: Yeast Infection (Vaginal)