Lavender is a highly fragrant flower that has been used for thousands of years to treat a wide variety of ailments, such as treating an itchy scalp. Although commercially-produced treatments are available to treat an itching scalp, these products sometimes contain harsh chemicals, like sodium lauryl sulfate. However, you can still treat an itchy scalp the old-fashioned way by using lavender.
Video of the Day
Lavender is a European flower that has a fresh, clean aroma. This has make lavender oil a favorite for use in soaps, waxes, perfumes, creams, salves and candles all over the world. Lavender is a highly absorbable oil that can be metabolized by the body very quickly. This property has also made lavender oil useful as a medicinal treatment for different ailments, including for a dry, itchy scalp.
Methods of Application
Although lavender essential oil can be massaged directly onto the scalp, it may cause irritation for people who have sensitive skin. To avoid irritation, combine five drops of lavender essential oil with 1 tbsp. of jojoba oil, then spread the oil mixture over your scalp. Massage the oils into your scalp for 15 minutes, then allow the oils to remain on your scalp for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Shampoo your hair and scalp with a moisturizing shampoo.
Frequency of Treatment
It is important to consult a dermatologist or naturopathic doctor to determine how severe your itching scalp problem really is. This will help you determine how often to apply lavender oil as a treatment for an itchy scalp. For a mildly itchy scalp, without other secondary conditions involved, apply a lavender oil treatment up to once per week. If your scalp is severely itchy with drainage or other conditions involved, do not apply the oil treatment and instead seek the help of your dermatologist or doctor.
Do not ingest lavender oil in large amounts. Lavender oil is a known poison when consumed in large quantities, and is even used as a poison for pests. Keep lavender oil out of the reach of children, and contact poison control if accidental ingestion occurs.