Bhringraj powder, also known as Eclipta Alba, is an herb that has been used throughout India for centuries. The use of bhringraj powder is a type of Ayurvedic medicine. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, Ayurveda is considered one of the oldest medical practices in existence. Bhringraj is best known for it's proposed hair benefits, but is believed to help remedy nearly any ailment or disease. Like any medication or supplement, consult your doctor before using bhringraj powder.
According to the website Herbs Online, the secret to hair health lies within the bhringraj herb. Indians have long used the powder as a way to help prevent hair loss and discoloration, to encourage hair growth and improve overall hair health. The website Ayushveda.com says you can mix the powder with water or oil to create a paste you can apply to the scalp. Bhringraj is also already added in certain shampoos to help rejuvenate the hair and scalp.
Bhringraj powder may help to heal the body's largest organ: our skin. Dr. H.S. Puri states that skin diseases occur because of impurities found in our blood. According to Ayurvedic medicine, bhringraj powder can help to purify blood and resolve any skin diseases or abnormalities. Whether ingested or applied directly to the skin, it is believed that the use of bhringraj powder can improve the look and feel of skin making it appear both younger and more healthy. It may also improve wound healing.
Puri says other organs, including the liver, kidneys and heart, can benefit from bhringraj powder. Bhringraj powder may help to cleanse and rejuvenate both the kidneys and the liver and improves blood flow to the heart by regulating blood pressure levels, lowering cholesterol and improving triglyceride levels. In India, it often helps treat both hepatitis and cirrhosis of the liver. In addition it may also aid in digestion and prevent indigestion.
Bhringraj powder may help to enhance and improve both your vision and sense of hearing. The website Atharv Ayur Health Care states that bhringraj powder can rejuvenate every cell in the body making organ systems stronger and more efficient. By improving the health of your organs bhringraj powder can then as a result help to improve the functioning of other parts of the body including your eyes and ears.
According to the website Ayushveda, due to it's anti-inflammatory properties, bhringraj powder is also used as a fever reducer and pain reliever. Bhringraj powder is combined with water or oil and applied directly to the pain source to help provide relief. The website notes that bhringraj can be used to help relieve headaches and migraines when applied directly to the skin.
Is This an Emergency?
- HerbsOnline; Bhringraj Herb: Healthy Tonic for Hair; February 2010
- Ayushevda: Eclipta Alba
- "Simple Ayurverdic Remedies"; Dr. H. S. Puri; 2002
- "Journal of Natural Products and Plant Resources"; Herbal Plants Used as Cosmetics.; Shweta K. Gediya, et al.; 2011
- "Journal of Medicinal Food; Diuretic, Hypotensive, and Hypocholesterolemic Effects of Eclipta alba in Mild Hypertensive Subjects: A Pilot Study"; Vasavi Rangineni, et al.; March 2007
- "Ethnobotany Research and Applications" A Comparative Analysis of Medicinal Plants Used by Folk Medicinal Healers in Three Districts of Bangladesh and Inquiry as to Mode of Selection of Medicinal Plants. Md. Ariful Haque Mollik, et al.; July 2010
- University of Maryland Medical Center; Ayurveda; Steven D. Ehrlich N.M.D.; September 2009
- "Simple Ayurvedic Remedies"; Dr. H.S. Puri; 2002
- National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine; Ayurvedic Medicine; July 2009
- Atharv Ayur Health Care: Bhringraj