How to Clean a Moldy Leather Baseball Glove

Mold and mildew are fungi that develop in areas that are damp and in areas of low airflow. They spread through spores and are difficult to eliminate. Cleaning and conditioning are the best ways to remove mold and mildew from a baseball glove. After you clean the glove, store it properly to prevent mold and mildew from returning.

Step 1

Clean off the mold. The University of Missouri Extension Service recommends a mixture of 1 cup rubbing alcohol and 1 cup water to remove mold and mildew. Dip a clean cloth into the diluted alcohol, squeeze the excess moisture from the cloth and wipe the entire glove, not just the areas where you see mold.

Step 2

Dry the glove in front of a current of air. Set the glove in front of a fan or over an air register. You can dry the glove outside if the sun is out and it is breezy, but if it is overcast or the air is calm, dry the glove inside.

Step 3

Wash with sudsy water if mold remains. Stubborn cases of mold and mildew may require a second treatment. Use a mild dishwashing solution to mix up some sudsy water and repeat the process, cleaning the entire glove, not just the areas where mold is present.

Step 4

Use a leather conditioner made specifically for baseball gloves after it is completely dry. Start at the palm area and work the conditioner out toward the fingers, rubbing it in gently with your fingers.

Things You'll Need

  • Rubbing alcohol

  • Water

  • Clean cloths

  • Dishwashing liquid

  • Baseball glove conditioner


When applying conditioner, several thin coats are better than one thick coat.

Store your baseball glove in a clean cloth bag, placed in a dry, well-ventilated area to prevent mold from reappearing.


Avoid using conditioners recommended for saddlery, shoes or other types of leather. These conditioners may contain ingredients that over-soften the leather or make it slick.

Load comments

Copyright © 2019 Leaf Group Ltd. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the LIVESTRONG.COM Terms of Use , Privacy Policy and Copyright Policy . The material appearing on LIVESTRONG.COM is for educational use only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. LIVESTRONG is a registered trademark of the LIVESTRONG Foundation. The LIVESTRONG Foundation and LIVESTRONG.COM do not endorse any of the products or services that are advertised on the web site. Moreover, we do not select every advertiser or advertisement that appears on the web site-many of the advertisements are served by third party advertising companies.