Allergy to Pineapple Symptoms

According to The University of Maryland Medical Center, food allergies are defined as the body's immune system reacting to generally harmless substances in certain foods. Most food allergies are a result of a genetic predisposition to sensitivity to a certain food item, and allergies normally resolve in adulthood. Strawberries are the fruit that most commonly cause an allergic response in humans, however individuals may be allergic to melons and even pineapple. Pineapple allergy is difficult to diagnose and normally only effectively diagnosed by an allergen test administered by a physician. There are some unpleasant medical symptoms associated with an allergy to pineapple. Symptoms of pineapple allergy may occur immediately after eating the fruit or may take up to five days to present.

Rash

The first symptom that may occur as a result of an allergy to pineapple is a skin rash. Individuals may experience patches of a red rash on the body immediately after eating the fruit. The rash may cause swelling, itching and hives (red welts on the skin). These symptoms can likely last for several days after consumption of pineapple.

Digestive Disorders

Digestive disorders such as nausea, vomiting and diarrhea are associated with pineapple allergy. The body's normal response to an unwanted item or toxin is to get rid of it as quickly as possible. Vomiting and diarrhea is the body's natural way of eliminating toxins from the body. It should be noted, vomiting and diarrhea may lead to dehydration in some individuals.

Respiratory Abnormalities

Individual who suffer from a pineapple allergy may experience some respiratory abnormalities. Pineapple allergy may cause swelling in the face, tongue or throat that may cause difficulty in breathing. If breathing difficulties occur, contact a physician immediately.

Cramping

Individuals who are allergic to pineapple may also experience cramping. It is not uncommon for a person with hypersensitivity to pineapple to experience cramping in the lower abdomen.

Anaphylaxis

Individuals with a severe allergy to pineapple may experience anaphylaxis as a result of pineapple consumption. Anaphylaxis is a severe, total body allergic reaction that can result in excessive swelling to the face and throat making breathing impossible, individuals may lose consciousness because of their inability to breathe, and a drastic drop in blood pressure may occur. If treatment is not administered immediately to a person with anaphylaxis, there is a high probability that death will occur.

Is This an Emergency?

If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
references
Load Comments
PARTNER & LICENSEE OF THE LIVESTRONG FOUNDATION

Copyright © 2019 Leaf Group Ltd. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the LIVESTRONG.COM Terms of Use , Privacy Policy and Copyright Policy . The material appearing on LIVESTRONG.COM is for educational use only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. LIVESTRONG is a registered trademark of the LIVESTRONG Foundation. The LIVESTRONG Foundation and LIVESTRONG.COM do not endorse any of the products or services that are advertised on the web site. Moreover, we do not select every advertiser or advertisement that appears on the web site-many of the advertisements are served by third party advertising companies.