Butter cream frosting is intended to be an enjoyable food, but for some people eating butter cream icing can cause an upset stomach. An upset stomach is the general term used for stomach bloating, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal cramping. If you develop an upset stomach a few hours after eating butter cream in an isolated incident, you may have food poisoning. If you notice that you develop stomach pain every time you eat butter cream frosting, you may be lactose intolerant or have a milk allergy. Make an appointment with your doctor to determine the cause of the upset stomach.
Video of the Day
Food poisoning can occur after eating butter cream frosting if the butter cream was sour or if the icing was cross-contaminated from the utensils or other ingredients used to make the frosting. If you have food poisoning, your symptoms will develop anywhere from four to 24 hours after eating the contaminated frosting. Butter cream frosting that causes food poisoning is contaminated with an infectious organism, such as bacteria, parasite or toxin, according to MayoClinic.com. The only treatment for food poisoning is to modify your diet and get plenty of rest.
Butter cream contains less lactose than regular milk, but can still cause lactose intolerant symptoms if you’re severely intolerant, according to the National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse. Lactose is a sugar in products that are made with milk. After consuming the butter cream frosting, your body cannot properly digest the lactose. This inability results in intestinal irritation, gas, foul-smelling stools, nausea, bloating, cramping, stomach pain and diarrhea. You can prevent these symptoms by taking an enzyme supplement to help your body digest the lactose in the butter cream frosting.
If you’re allergic to milk, eating butter cream icing will cause an allergic reaction. A milk allergy is the result of a hypersensitivity to the proteins in milk: casein and whey, according to Kids Health. These proteins are in butter cream and will cause the immune system to attack the proteins when ingested. The attack in the immune system causes inflammation in the intestines, lungs and sinus passages.
Milk Allergy Warning
Milk allergy symptoms may develop within a few minutes of eating the frosting or could take up to an hour to form. A milk allergy is a serious medical condition that needs to be assessed by a doctor. A severe allergic reaction can cause an entire body systematic reaction called anaphylaxis, which can cause death if not properly treated.