If you want to give your face a spa-like treatment at home, a mud mask is a necessity. Don’t head out to the backyard with a shovel and pail to gather up mud. Mud masks are actually made of cosmetic clay, which you can buy at most major retailers. A mud mask cleans dirt and grime out of your pores while nourishing your skin and drawing out toxins, dead cells and excess oil. Use a homemade facial mud mask one a week to give your mug a deep cleaning without spending a fortune at the spa.Want to look fantastic? Learn more about LIVESTRONG.COM's nutrition and fitness program!
Pour 1 tablespoon of milk, filtered water or cooled green tea into a bowl. If your skin is dry, use milk. If it’s oily, use water. Use green tea if you’re looking for an anti-aging effect to combat wrinkles and fine lines.
Add 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel and mix well.
Stir in 2 tablespoons of cosmetic clay. Add the clay gradually and stir constantly as you’re adding it.
Mix in one egg white and a few drops of chamomile, apricot or rose essential oil. Stir well with a spoon to thoroughly mix all the ingredients.
Wash your face well with your regular facial cleanser. Pat your skin dry with a soft towel.
Spread the mask onto your face using your fingers. Apply the paste in a thick layer, avoiding the lips and eye areas. Follow up by moisturizing your skin.
Leave the mud mask on your face for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse it off with a washcloth and warm water.
Tips and Warnings
- If the paste is too thick after combining all the ingredients, add a few more drops of liquid – milk, water or green tea – until it reaches the consistency of a spreadable paste. If it’s too thin, stir in corn flour, one teaspoon at a time, to thicken up the mixture.
- You can buy cosmetic clay at most drugstores or health food stores. There are a variety of types of cosmetic clays on the market. If you have sensitive or dry skin, choose yellow, white or pink kaolin clay. For oily skin, bentonite clay, blue or red montmorillonite clay, green clay, red kaolin and Moroccan rhassoul clay work best. For all skin types, dead sea clay will work for making a mud mask.
Things You'll Need
- 1 tablespoon milk, filtered water or cooled green tea
- 1 tablespoon aloe vera gel
- 2 tablespoons cosmetic clay
- 1 egg white
- 3 drops of chamomile, apricot or rose essential oil
- Facial cleanser
- Soft towel