Not your standard cup of tea, tapioca bubble tea is a sweet concoction usually made from tea, milk, sugar and balls of tapioca called pearls. Tapioca bubble tea comes in an assortment of fruit flavors as well as chocolate, vanilla and more. These beverages are often high in added sugar and as such, are also high in calories.
The calorie count varies by ingredients and serving size, but a 16-ounce tapioca Thai milk tea from one popular chain contains about 184 calories per 16-ounce serving. The same serving of another brand's taro bubble-tea smoothie contains a hefty 335 calories. On average, MyFitnessPal reports that a 12.7-ounce serving of bubble tea contains about 207 calories. That includes 22 grams of sugar, which at 4 calories per gram equals 88 sugar calories. Sugar provides only empty calories because it contains no other nutrients; therefore, you should limit sugar and reserve bubble tea for special occasions.
- What's Cooking America: Bubble Tea Recipe -- How To Make Bubble Tea - What is Bubble Tea?
- MyFitnessPal.com: Calories in Tapioca Express Thai Milk Tea
- MyFitnessPal.com: Calories in Kotta Taro Bubble Tea Smoothie
- MyFitnessPal.com: Calories in Bubble/Boba Tea Drink
- ChooseMyPlate.gov: What Are Empty Calories?