It’s every man’s worst nightmare: man boobs. You saw it on the Seinfeld episode “The Mansierre,” in which Kramer developed a bra for guys who were suffering from a little too much breast development.
But let’s face it: No man wants to wear a bra. Whether it’s justified or not, getting moobs will make you feel unattractive and will give you a low self-esteem. Every guy knows the best way to attract a woman is by being confident, so how can you win this man boob battle?
It comes down to gaining control of your diet and committing to the proper exercise program. And remember: If you don't stick to it, the next time you hit the beach, you may find yourself resembling your girlfriend more than the guy with rock-hard pecs.
Why You Get Man Boobs
There are two main reasons guys get man boobs. The first comes from simply being overweight. They’re composed of fatty tissue stored over the pectoral muscles. A common myth is that you can spot reduce your man boobs, but unfortunately, you can’t pick and choose where your body is going to shed its fat, so you will just have to lower it overall.
In order to remove fat deposits from your body, you have to adhere to a cardio and strength-training workout program and follow a proper diet. You must create a caloric deficit in order to lose weight. This means either increasing the number of calories you expend through exercise or reducing the number of calories you take in by changing your diet. If you are smart, you will do both.
The second reason guys get man boobs is due to a medical condition called gynecomastia. This is a hormonal condition in which the body produces an increased amount of estrogen and a decreased amount of testosterone. Gynecomastia can often happen as the result of taking certain medications that influence the body's hormonal levels. It can also occur if someone is suffering from a testicular tumor, which causes estrogen production to significantly increase.
To treat this problem, medical advice should be sought. Most often, the patient will be taken off the particular medication or will be given anti-estrogen treatment. Surgery may be necessary if the problem does not improve.
Cardio will enable you to burn a significant amount of calories over a set period of time, helping you to achieve the caloric deficit that is necessary to get rid of your man boobs.
1. Interval training: Interval training is your best option because it will kick your metabolism into high gear. Since it is so intense, your body will expend a great deal of calories -- even after you are finished working out -- in order to repair and rebuild the muscle tissues that have been damaged.
2. Running: Generally, the best mode of cardiovascular exercise to do for fat loss is running; however, if you have joint problems or just really hate running, there are several other methods that can be substituted.
3. Rowing: A good option is to use a rowing machine or to actually go rowing outside. Rowing is a great form of exercise for getting rid of man boobs since it encompasses all your upper body muscles, allowing you to sculpt your chest while you burn fat.
4. Elliptical machine: While biking is a good cardiovascular workout, it focuses more specifically on your lower body. Many people turn to the elliptical machine for their cardio sessions. This machine is a great calorie burner since it uses both arms and legs, and it is easy on the joints.
5. Playing sports: Don’t forget about sports. Activities such as tennis, basketball, hockey, and soccer are great cardiovascular workouts, as they typically involve all-out bursts of movement accompanied by shorter periods of rest. Playing sports goes a long way in helping you burn stubborn body fat, thus, preventing the development of man boobs. So join that soccer team and get that old tennis racket out of your closet.
What do YOU think? Let us know in the comments below.