Water makes up more than 60 percent of the human body, yet many people don't consume enough of it. Drinking enough water helps your organs function properly, hydrates your skin and can even help you control your appetite.
The importance of water is undeniable. Not only does it make up every organ, tissue and cell, it also:
- Controls hunger, which is often just thirst in disguise
- Increases performance of your body's systems
- Helps process and remove waste and toxins
- Regulates temperature
So, are you drinking enough water? It's typical to drink water during meals, during and after workouts and when you're thirsty — that's when your body is really asking for it. Although hydration comes mostly from the water and beverages you drink, quite a few foods contain a whole lotta agua. These foods include celery, tomatoes, oranges and melons, as well as broth-based soups.
4 Ways to Raise Your Hydration Game
- Carry a reusable water bottle with you wherever you go so you can always hydrate.
- Freeze some bottles of water so you can grab one and enjoy ice-cold water all day.
- Skip the soda and kick up your water's flavor without adding calories with a wedge of citrus.
- Save money and calories by choosing H2O as your beverage at meals and when eating out.
Whatever you do, steer clear of any beverages with added sugars, such as sodas, soft drinks, sports and energy drinks and fruit drinks. Choose wisely, track your water intake with LIVESTRONG.COM’s free MyPlate Calorie Tracker — available on desktop and for iOS and Android devices — and quench your body's thirst.
Get Daily Motivation in Our Facebook Group
For daily support, motivation and camaraderie with LIVESTRONG.COM team members, join our Facebook Challenge Group. We'll share recipes, tips, motivations, pictures and more! Plus, we'll answer all your questions.
Sign up for our newsletter if you want periodic reminders to get linked up with helpful LIVESTRONG.COM articles and tips.
Read More for a Pool of Water Knowledge
- 12 Ways to Make Water Taste (Much) Better
- Everything You Need to Know to Stay Properly Hydrated
- Should You Drink a Lot of Water Even If You're Not Thirsty?
Readers — Are you joining us in the 30-Day Get Lean in 2017 Challenge? If so, what's your weight-loss goal? Have you ever done a weight-loss challenge group before? How did it go for you? Have you joined our LIVESTRONG.COM Challenge Group on Facebook? Leave a comment below and let us know.