zig
0

Notifications

  • You're all caught up!

Allergic Reactions to Raisins

by
author image Diane Marks
Diane Marks started her writing career in 2010 and has been in health care administration for more than 30 years. She holds a registered nurse license from Citizens General Hospital School of Nursing, a Bachelor of Arts in health care education from California University of Pennsylvania and a Master of Science in health administration from the University of Pittsburgh.
Allergic Reactions to Raisins
An allergic reaction to raisins may be caused by a mold allergy. Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images

Raisins are a natural sweet treat, but may not be enjoyed if you have an allergic reaction after consuming the dried fruit. Raisins are made from dried grapes and are not considered a common food allergen, although any food can trigger an allergic reaction. It’s possible that if you have an allergy to mold, you may develop an allergic reaction after eating raisins, according to the Cleveland Clinic. Make an appointment with an allergist to determine the cause of your symptoms.

Raisin Allergy

A raisin allergy occurs when, instead of your immune system identifying the proteins in the raisin as safe, it mistakenly reacts as if they’re harmful. The immune system's function is to keep the body safe from infectious organisms such as viruses, bacteria and toxins. When your immune system mistakes raisin proteins as dangerous, disease-fighting agents called antibodies are created to destroy the substance. Immunoglobulin E are the specific antibodies produced by the body to fight off a food allergen. These antibodies cause a chemical chain reaction throughout the body that causes most allergy symptoms.

Symptoms

Symptoms from a raisin allergy are the result of increased histamine in soft tissues. The IgE antibodies communicate with white blood cells, located in soft tissue, which produce histamine to protect the body. Histamine causes blood vessels to dilate, your lungs to constrict and increased mucus production. These changes in the body can cause nasal congestion, a runny nose, watery eyes, trouble breathing, wheezing, coughing, chest tightness, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, stomach pain, skin rashes, eczema, hives, a change in heart rate and lightheadedness.

Mold Allergy Considerations

Mold allergies are common but are typically categorized with hay fever or an airborne allergy. Mold is present in various places and can be found on some dried fruit, including raisins. If you have a known mold allergy, talk with your doctor about implementing an elimination food diet. If you’re allergic to mold, you may be able to eat grapes but not raisins, because of the possible presence of mold in raisins.

Treatment

Once the exact cause of the allergy is identified, your doctor will recommend avoiding all known allergens. If you accidentally ingest raisins or mold spores, you may be able to take an over-the-counter antihistamine to reduce your symptoms. Other medications may include pain relievers, decongestants and topical steroid creams. Do not use any medications without first consulting with your doctor.

LiveStrong Calorie Tracker
THE LIVESTRONG.COM MyPlate Nutrition, Workouts & Tips
GOAL
  • Gain 2 pounds per week
  • Gain 1.5 pounds per week
  • Gain 1 pound per week
  • Gain 0.5 pound per week
  • Maintain my current weight
  • Lose 0.5 pound per week
  • Lose 1 pound per week
  • Lose 1.5 pounds per week
  • Lose 2 pounds per week
GENDER
  • Female
  • Male
lbs.
ft. in.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

CURRENTLY TRENDING

Demand Media

Our Privacy Policy has been updated. Please take a moment and read it here.