Bug bites are an annoying but common occurrence, especially during the warm spring and summer seasons. When you are bitten by an insect, its venom irritates your skin and can produce an allergic reaction, which can vary from person to person. One such reaction is a swollen lip---a reaction that may be very minor and fleeting, or can become a sign of a life-threatening condition called anaphylaxis. Remedies for a swollen lip that stems from an insect bite is determined by each person's individual condition.
Clean the site of the bite with soap and water. The cleansing can help you stave off infection, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center. If you have been bitten or stung right on your lip, wash the area with water only to prevent possible toxic reactions from soap or other cleaning agents.
Apply a cold pack to your swollen lip for 10 minutes at a time. If you were bitten on the lip, the cold can minimize the pain from the bite or sting. Ice can also help limit the extent of your swelling.
Take an oral antihistamine. Your swollen lip is an allergic response; your body produces a substance called histamines in response to the intolerance. The medication stops or blocks the action of the histamine and both relieves itching and reduces swelling.
Monitor your condition. Keep an eye out for symptoms that could indicate a severe allergy that can lead to anaphylactic shock. If you have trouble breathing, experience facial swelling that extends to more than just your lip, feel confused, or experience an irregular or rapid heartbeat, seek immediate medical attention.