• You're all caught up!

Can Children Over 1 Eat Raw Honey?

author image Debra McKenzie
Based in Chapel Hill, N.C., Debra McKenzie has been writing since 2001. Her work has appeared in journals, including "JADA" and "Obesity Research," and in the textbook "Nutrition in the Prevention and Treatment of Disease." She holds a Master of Science in nutrition from University of Vermont and completed her dietetic internship at Meredith College.
Can Children Over 1 Eat Raw Honey?
Honey can be an excellent energy source for older children. Photo Credit amberto4ka/iStock/Getty Images

Honey was one of the first natural sweeteners used by humans. It is used not only as a food, but also as a drug and topical ointment. Honey has been used in infant nutrition and as a medicine, but it is unsafe for babies under 1 year old due to botulism spores. Although infant botulism is rare, with fewer than 100 cases reported per year, it can be deadly, and it is avoidable.

Honey Uses

According to a review in the “Journal of the American College of Nutrition,” honey was once used as a source of carbohydrates in infant nutrition, as infants fed a honey and milk diet were found to gain more weight and were less susceptible to disease than infants fed normally. Some parents give raw, local honey to children, as it is thought to prevent allergies. Honey has also been shown to be an effective cough suppressant. Even with the possible benefits of honey, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the American Association of Pediatrics and the National Honey Board have recommended that it not be given to infants under 1 year old.

You Might Also Like


Botulism is a serious illness that leads to paralysis and can be fatal. It is caused by a nerve toxin produced by clostridium botulism. Foodborne botulism is the result of eating foods that contain this toxin. In infants, the spores in honey can induce botulism, as an infant’s immature intestine allows the spores to grow and multiply, producing the toxin. The digestive tract of older children and adults is able to prevent spore survival and growth.

Botulism Risk with Honey

A survey of honey in the U.S. found that 10% of samples contained botulism spores. Simply heating the honey does make it safe, as six hours at boiling temperatures is required to kill the spores. The only way to prevent botulism in infants is to avoid all honey during the first year of life. It is considered safe for children older than 1 year.

Symptoms of Infant Botulism

The first sign of infant botulism is constipation. The infant will appear lethargic, have poor sucking ability, and have a weak cry and poor muscle tone. These signs are due to the muscle paralysis caused by the toxin's blocking of the transmission of nerve impulses. If left untreated, the paralysis will move to the limbs and respiratory system. If you suspect your child has botulism, get medical care immediately.

Related Searches

LiveStrong Calorie Tracker
THE LIVESTRONG.COM MyPlate Nutrition, Workouts & Tips
  • Gain 2 pounds per week
  • Gain 1.5 pounds per week
  • Gain 1 pound per week
  • Gain 0.5 pound per week
  • Maintain my current weight
  • Lose 0.5 pound per week
  • Lose 1 pound per week
  • Lose 1.5 pounds per week
  • Lose 2 pounds per week
  • Female
  • Male
ft. in.


Demand Media