Gold Member Badge


  • You're all caught up!

How to Get Rid of Old White Stretch Marks

author image Brenda Barron
Brenda Barron is a writer, editor and researcher based in Southern California. She has worked as a writer since 2004, with work appearing in online and print publications such as BabyZone, "Cat Fancy" and "ePregnancy." She holds a Bachelor of Arts in English literature from California State University, Long Beach.
How to Get Rid of Old White Stretch Marks
Older stretch marks tend to be white or silver.

Stretch marks typically come in two variations: the reddish purple marks that snake across your skin or the white and silvery marks that leave depressions on the skin. These differences are determined by the age of the stretch mark. Red ones are new and white ones are old. You can use creams and many other treatments on new stretch marks, but old white stretch marks are more difficult to treat. That's why you'll need to pull out the full treatment arsenal in order to get them to fade away.

Video of the Day

Step 1

Wear sunscreen every day, especially when you'll be going outside. Look for a formula that has at least SPF 15. An oil-free formula would also be a good choice so it doesn't irritate your skin or clog pores. Protecting your skin in this way will prevent sun exposure, which has been known to make stretch marks more prominent.

Step 2

Buy a microdermabrasion kit or have the procedure performed in your dermatologist's office. While this treatment doesn't work on newer stretch marks, it can have an effect on older ones. This is because it removes the top, damaged layer of skin. With repeated treatments, your old white stretch marks should fade and blend in with the rest of your skin. The procedure is pretty much the same at home or in-office. A cream with crystals in it is applied to the skin, then a wand is run over the stretch marks to buff away dead skin cells.

Step 3

Schedule an appointment with your dermatologist to undergo laser therapy. For old, white stretch marks, an excimer laser works best because it encourages the production of melanin or pigment cells in the stretch marks. Over time, this will help the stretch marks match the rest of your skin and make them less noticeable to the naked eye, according to

LiveStrong Calorie Tracker
Lose Weight. Feel Great! Change your life with MyPlate by LIVESTRONG.COM
  • Gain 2 pounds per week
  • Gain 1.5 pounds per week
  • Gain 1 pound per week
  • Gain 0.5 pound per week
  • Maintain my current weight
  • Lose 0.5 pound per week
  • Lose 1 pound per week
  • Lose 1.5 pounds per week
  • Lose 2 pounds per week
  • Female
  • Male
ft. in.



Demand Media