Gold Member Badge


  • You're all caught up!

Hand Sanitizer & Alcohol Poisoning

author image Layne Wood
Layne Wood began writing in 1990. Her work has appeared in publications by the Big South Undergraduate Research Symposium and Appalachian Writers Heritage Symposium. Wood specializes in articles on Appalachia, literature, dogs and relationships. She has a Bachelor of Science in English from Radford University.
Hand Sanitizer & Alcohol Poisoning
Though convenient, hand sanitizer is no more effective than proper hand washing. Photo Credit: Jay_Zynism/iStock/Getty Images

Hand sanitizer has grown in popularity in recent years and can be found in nearly every household, hospital and classroom. It is widely used as a convenience product because it kills germs without soap and water. Families who use hand sanitizers, along with frequent hand washing, can dramatically reduce the illnesses they experience. But the high alcohol content found in most hand sanitizers can pose a risk if used inappropriately.

Video of the Day

Alcohol Content

Alcohol-based hand sanitizers contain ethyl alcohol suspended in a gel. Many sanitizer brands claim that their products kill 99.9 percent of germs. In order to kill a variety of bacteria and viruses, the product must contain at least 60 percent alcohol. Consuming 1.5 ounces of a hand sanitizer is about the equivalent of drinking a shot of hard liquor. Some varieties contain up to 95 percent alcohol, while others are made with isopropyl alcohol, even more potent than ethanol.


In 2007, a viral email described a parent’s nightmare: A 4-year-old was lethargic and incoherent. After a battery of tests, doctors discovered she was suffering from alcohol poisoning brought on by ingesting hand sanitizer. The child recovered. Despite some inaccuracies, the story was essentially true, reported. This story notwithstanding, the average child will not suffer alcohol poisoning from normal use of hand sanitizer. “It would take a 2-year old weighing 25 pounds approximately 2 teaspoons or 10-20 pumps of an average container to become intoxicated," says the Sanford Poison Center in South Dakota.


The American Association of Poison Control Centers reported nearly 12,000 cases of hand sanitizer ingestion in 2005. Most cases result in no adverse effects or only mild effects, such as nausea and vomiting. In rare cases, signs of intoxication including dizziness and slurred speech have been reported. There are no known child fatalities caused by accidental hand sanitizer ingestion. But hand sanitizer poses a significant risk to pets, particularly dogs that may chew open the container and ingest a significant amount of the substance.

Signs of Alcohol Poisoning lists common symptoms associated with alcohol poisoning. Symptoms may include vomiting, irregular breathing, confusion, seizures, low body temperature and unconsciousness. If your child is exhibiting any of these symptoms and has possibly ingested an alcohol-based product, seek emergency medical care. Untreated, alcohol poisoning could be fatal.

Safety and Alternatives

Alcohol-based hand sanitizer should be treated as a toxic substance and stored accordingly. Keep it out of reach of children and pets, and do not allow young children to use it unattended. Avoid scented varieties, which may tempt children to taste. You may also want to consider replacing your hand sanitizer with a nonalcoholic variety or eliminating hand sanitizer altogether. Hand sanitizer is convenient but no more effective than traditional hand washing.

LiveStrong Calorie Tracker
Lose Weight. Feel Great! Change your life with MyPlate by LIVESTRONG.COM
  • Gain 2 pounds per week
  • Gain 1.5 pounds per week
  • Gain 1 pound per week
  • Gain 0.5 pound per week
  • Maintain my current weight
  • Lose 0.5 pound per week
  • Lose 1 pound per week
  • Lose 1.5 pounds per week
  • Lose 2 pounds per week
  • Female
  • Male
ft. in.


Demand Media