Allergic Reactions to Pineapple Juice

Nasal congestion, runny nose, asthma, skin rashes and diarrhea experienced after drinking pineapple juice are all signs of an allergic reaction. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, pineapples and other tropical fruits commonly cause food allergies. Stop eating and drinking products that contain pineapple until you can be seen by your doctor. Ingesting any amount of pineapple can trigger allergy symptoms that could lead to further complications.

Pineapple juice may cause an allergic reaction. (Image: velveteye/iStock/Getty Images)

Pineapple Allergy

It's unclear why the immune system mistakes certain proteins as dangerous, but if your immune system malfunctions when you consume pineapple juice, you will experience an allergic reaction. Pineapple juice contains proteins that can trigger an overreaction of the immune system. The immune system attempts to fight off the proteins from the pineapple juice by releasing immunoglobulin E antibodies into the bloodstream. These antibodies cause a chain-reaction in the body that leads to the production of various chemicals, which produces most symptoms.

Symptoms

An allergic reaction to pineapple juice will cause different parts of your body to develop various symptoms. Your digestive system may react with diarrhea, stomach pain, cramping, nausea and vomiting. The respiratory system may develop swelling in the lungs and sinuses, leading to asthma symptoms. Respiratory symptoms may include trouble breathing, wheezing, coughing, chest tightness, shortness of breath, sinus congestion, sinus headaches and facial tenderness. Common skin reactions from ingesting pineapple juice include redness, itching and inflammation.

Allergic Contact Dermatitis

A common skin reaction to citrus and tropical fruits, such as pineapple, is allergic contact dermatitis. This rash develops when your skin comes into direct contact with pineapple juice. The topical allergic reaction is localized to the area of contact and can cause blisters, severe itching and redness of the skin, according to the American Osteopathic College of Dermatology. Treat this type of allergic reaction by washing the affected area of the skin with soap and water and applying hydrocortisone cream. If the rash persists or gets worse after treatment, call your doctor immediately.

Anaphylaxis

Although rare, a food-related allergy can cause a severe allergic reaction called anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis occurs when your entire body develops an allergy, causing life-threatening symptoms to develop within seconds of drinking pineapple juice. Common signs of anaphylaxis include severe abdominal pain, lightheadedness, an increased but faint heart rate and a sudden drop in blood pressure. Call 911 right away if you develop this type of allergic reaction.

REFERENCES & RESOURCES
Load comments
PARTNER & LICENSEE OF THE LIVESTRONG FOUNDATION

Copyright © 2019 Leaf Group Ltd. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the LIVESTRONG.COM Terms of Use , Privacy Policy and Copyright Policy . The material appearing on LIVESTRONG.COM is for educational use only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. LIVESTRONG is a registered trademark of the LIVESTRONG Foundation. The LIVESTRONG Foundation and LIVESTRONG.COM do not endorse any of the products or services that are advertised on the web site. Moreover, we do not select every advertiser or advertisement that appears on the web site-many of the advertisements are served by third party advertising companies.