Incorporating soda into cake batter is a quick way to add flavor and replace other wet ingredients if you don't have them on hand. For vegans, soda can replace eggs in a cake mix recipe. It can also lower the fat content of a cake by replacing oil.
The carbonation in soda imparts lightness to the cake and many different flavor combinations can be achieved with a little creativity. The simplest way to bake a cake with soda is to use a cake mix. This method limits your ingredient list and will have a dessert on your table in less than an hour.
Video of the Day
Things You'll Need
Cake mix, any flavor
12 ounces of soda, any flavor
Liquid measuring cup
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour the cake mix into a medium-sized mixing bowl. You can use any cake mix flavor or brand for this recipe.
- Mix 10 ounces of soda into the cake mix using a mixing spoon or whisk. Mix until combined.
- Pour the cake batter into a cake pan that you've sprayed with nonstick spray. You can bake your cake in a 9-inch round pan or a 9-inch by 13-inch rectangular pan.
- Bake your cake for the amount of time required on your cake mix box, usually 20 to 35 minutes.
- Test your cake for doneness by inserting a toothpick or knife into the center. If it comes out clean, it's done.
- Cool the cake on a cooling rack and frost if desired.
Do not over-mix your cake batter. Over mixing cake batter makes the cake tough and eliminates the lightness and fluffiness that you want in a cake.
Typically, using light colored sodas with light colored cake mixes and dark sodas with dark cake mixes work best. You can use a dark soda with a light cake mix and the flavor will be fine, but the color will be darker than normal.