Dried pomegranate seeds, known as anardana, are used in a variety of ways. They are rich in vitamins C, K and 6. They also contain the minerals potassium and copper. You can purchase sun-dried anardana in packages much like you would sun-dried raisins or cranberries. Spice companies offer powdered and dried pomegranate seeds or you can make your own powder for use in and over foods to add a tangy, sour and sweet flavor to your favorite dishes.
Add coarsely ground dried pomegranate seeds to Indian chutneys and curries. The sweet/sour taste of the dried pomegranate adds a distinct flavor to the dishes and helps thicken the curry sauce.
Video of the Day
Make chickpea salad with onion, red pepper, potatoes and black pepper. Add ground, dried pomegranate seeds to the salad to add a tang to the flavor.
Replace raisins with dried pomegranates in sweet breads, cookies and muffins. Use the amount of dried pomegranates equal to the amount of raisins called for in your recipe.
Prepare a potato and pomegranate seed dish known as aloo anardana. This is an Indian dish that requires pomegranate seeds for the flavor of the dish and not just to enhance taste.
Roast the dried pomegranate seeds in the oven and grind them into a powder with a coffee grinder to sprinkle over fish, beef and venison. Add the powdered pomegranate to soup stocks and marinade for an added sweet/sour flavor.
Sprinkle the powdered pomegranates over fruit salads and lamb as a garnish.
Flavor hummus dip, made with garbanzo beans or chickpeas, with dried pomegranate powder.
Things You'll Need
- Spices Inc.: Exotic Spices
- “Vij's: Elegant and Inspired Indian Cuisine”; Vikram Vij, et al.; 2006
- “Field Guide to Herbs &amp; Spices: How to Identify, Select and Use Virtually Every Seasoning at the Market”; Aliza Green; 2006
- “Indian Spice Kitchen”; Monisha Bharadwaj; 2005
- “The Indian Grocery Store Demystified”; Linda Bladholm; 2000
- Organic Facts: Nutritional Value of Plum and Pomegranate
- “Desi Aloo”; Sanjeev Kapoor; 2010