Black Mold Poisoning Symptoms

Woman looking at a thermometer
Black Mold Poisoning (Image: EmiliaU/iStock/Getty Images)

Black Mold poisoning can cause only one to two symptoms in some people and many more in other people. Exposure and poisoning related to black mold can cause mild, moderate or severe illness, and sometimes death if left untreated. Black mold grows in moist or humid areas and grows in patches that appear as multiple black spots. There are several symptoms to be aware of that may indicate you have been exposed to black mold and have black mold poisoning. You should visit your physician immediately if you suspect illness from black mold for immediate professional medical attention.

Respiratory Symptoms

Black Mold releases toxic spores into the environment in order to kill off other black molds in the area that are its competition for food and territory. When you breath in these toxic spores, you may experience respiratory symptoms such as congestion, coughing, increased mucous production and shortness of breath.

Nausea and Vomiting

Most people will experience nausea and vomiting after exposed to black mold. If you have been exposed to large amounts, or for prolonged periods of time, your nausea and vomiting may continue to get worse.

Rashes

You may develop rashes on your skin after an exposure to black mold. You may have mild or moderate pink and brown skin rashes on any part of your skin. These rashes may itch, although they do not always, and may go away and reappear periodically.

Muscle Pains and Fatigue

As the spores enter your body from exposure to black mold, you may start to develop muscle pains and fatigue. This occurs as your immune system attempts to destroy the invaders and re-routes energy to the immune system. You may also experience fever and cold systems with fatigue.

REFERENCES & RESOURCES
Comments
PARTNER & LICENSEE OF THE LIVESTRONG FOUNDATION

Copyright © 2018 Leaf Group Ltd. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the LIVESTRONG.COM Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Copyright Policy. The material appearing on LIVESTRONG.COM is for educational use only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. LIVESTRONG is a registered trademark of the LIVESTRONG Foundation. The LIVESTRONG Foundation and LIVESTRONG.COM do not endorse any of the products or services that are advertised on the web site. Moreover, we do not select every advertiser or advertisement that appears on the web site-many of the advertisements are served by third party advertising companies.