Whether you're running to drop off the kids at school or lifting heavy groceries up a flight of stairs, every day is glute day, as far as we're concerned.
In fact, training your glutes daily is a good thing — you just want to make sure you're working all three muscles: your gluteus maximus, gluteus medius and gluteus minimus. Targeting all three glute muscles distributes the effort evenly and allows you to maintain a daily training regimen.
You also want to keep your daily routine short, and this 5-minute butt workout provides the perfect dose. Doing 5-minute butt workouts at home every day might not seem like a lot, but their butt-boosting benefits add up over time.
Ready to get started? Do each exercise for 45 seconds and rest for 15 seconds between each move.
Move 1: Sumo Squat
- Stand with your feet a little wider than hip-width apart with your toes turned out.
- Bend your knees and lower your butt down into a squat, driving your knees out toward your pinky toes, while keeping your chest up and back flat.
- Drive through your heels to stand back up and squeeze your glutes at the top of the movement.
Move 2: Alternating Lateral Lunge
- Stand with your feet hip-distance apart.
- Step your right foot out to the side, keeping your feet flat.
- Push your hips back and down, bending your right knee and straightening the left leg. Your weight should be in your heels and your chest should be up.
- Drive through your right foot to stand back up and return to the starting position.
- Repeat for 6 reps and then switch sides.
Move 3: Bulgarian Split Squat
- Stand in a split stance (about 2 to 3 feet) with your right foot in front and your left foot on top of an elevated surface, like a chair or bench, toes tucked.
- Bend your knees, dropping your back knee straight down. Your right knee should form a 90-degree angle. Make sure your left hip is stacked above your left knee. Get your left knee as close to the ground as you can.
- Drive through your right heel to stand.
- Repeat for 22 seconds and then switch sides.
Move 4: Clamshell
- Lie on your side with knees bent and your hips stacked. Rest your head on your bottom arm and place your other arm in front of you for balance.
- Keeping your heels together, rotate your top knee open until you feel the tension in your side glute.
- Lower your knee back down to the starting position.
- Perform for 22 seconds and repeat on the other side.
Move 5: Glute Bridge
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet hip-width apart.
- Press your heels into the ground and drive your hips toward the ceiling, squeezing your glutes at the top. You should form a diagonal line from your knees to your shoulders.
- Lower your butt back down to the starting position.