According to the Hong Kong Centre for Food Safety, hydrogen peroxide is commonly used as an industrial bleaching agent and a household germ killer. Most of the bottles you buy in stores contain a 3 percent hydrogen peroxide solution, but special bottles labeled "food grade" may contain up to a 35 percent hydrogen peroxide solution. The higher the percentage, the more cautious you need to be, since hydrogen peroxide both degrades quickly and can be fatal if ingested in high quantities.
Keep your food grade hydrogen peroxide in the original container. Do not put anything inside the bottle. This reduces the risk of introducing contaminants. The Office of Radiation, Chemical and Biological Safety, or ORCBS, at Michigan State University explains that the contamination of hydrogen peroxide via dust or other external sources might prompt rapid decomposition of the product, as can excessive agitation.
Store your food grade hydrogen peroxide away from light and heat, suggests Centipede Industries, a manufacturer of the product. Both heat and light can cause hydrogen peroxide to break down more quickly. For a longer product life, the freezer works great for storage purposes.
Keep food grade hydrogen peroxide away from organic compounds, combustibles, strong bases, and metallic salts, suggests ORCBS. Also, avoid storing this product directly on wooden shelves.
Avoid storing food grade hydrogen peroxide in the refrigerator, since it might be mistaken for a beverage and can be toxic if ingested. Also, keep this product away from children and pets at all times.
Always make sure containers of hydrogen peroxide are clearly labeled, to avoid the risk of poisoning.
Never ingest hydrogen peroxide unless under a physician's care. Food grade hydrogen peroxide can be toxic.