Gravy can be made from homemade chicken broth or canned chicken broth. Collecting the drippings from a baked or rotisserie chicken and mixing them with hot water is one way to make homemade broth.
Broth is also made by boiling leftover chicken bones. When you make you make your own, you can control the sodium content, making this a healthy option.
Video of the Day
The easiest way to make gravy is to use commercially prepared chicken broth from a can or carton. Select a low-sodium variety so you can season the gravy to your liking.
Things You'll Need
2 cups chicken broth
4 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. ground sage
1/2 tsp. ground thyme
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
2 garlic cloves
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 2 cups of chicken broth in the microwave, then set it aside.
- Mix 4 tablespoons of flour, 1/2 teaspoon ground sage, 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme and 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper in a small bowl.
- Roughly chop 1/4 cup yellow onions and slice two cloves of garlic.
- Place a nonstick skillet on the stove and heat on medium heat.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter.
- Sauté the onions and garlic until translucent and soft.
- Add the flour mixture and slowly cook until it's golden brown.
- Carefully pour the hot chicken broth into the pan, whisking continuously to incorporate the broth.
- Once the mixture is thoroughly combined, switch to a rubber spatula.
- Cook your gravy until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Taste the gravy, adding more salt or black pepper if desired. Use a rubber spatula to scrape around the edges of the pan so you don't have hard pieces in your sauce.
- Pour the finished gravy through a small sieve into your serving dish, removing the onions, garlic and any residual clumps.
- Place a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the gravy to prevent a skin from forming.
- Remove the plastic just before serving.
- Use twice the amount of fresh herbs instead of ground herbs.
- Bake the flour at 350 degrees Fahrenheit in the oven until browned for a nutty flavored, darker gravy.
- You can pour a small amount of the gravy over a baked chicken breast and mashed potatoes.