Men who eat 1,700 calories a day will likely lose weight, according to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010. High-protein diets increase satiety, help your body burn extra calories and are often effective for weight loss, according to a 2008 review published in "The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition" and a study published in 2012 in "Physiology and Behavior." Protein also helps men maintain lean muscle mass during periods of calorie restriction and weight loss.
Video of the Day
Choosing at least one high-protein food at each meal and snack helps men seeking weight loss stick with a 1,700-calorie daily allotment and effectively shed pounds. Examples of protein-rich foods include grilled chicken breast containing 27 grams of protein per 3-ounce portion, lean ground beef providing 21 grams in each 3-ounce portion, low-fat cottage cheese containing 28 grams of protein per cup, 1 cup of low-fat yogurt providing 13 grams and 1 cup of low-fat milk containing 8 grams of dietary protein, reports the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
1,700-Calorie Meal Plan
Using a the Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010 sample healthy meal plans as a reference, a 1,700-calorie plan may consist of 1.5 cups of fruits, 2 cups of vegetables, 5 ounces of grains, 5 ounces of protein foods, 3 cups of dairy products, 5 teaspoons of oils and 141 extra calories daily. To maximize the protein content of this meal plan, choose foods from the oils group that are rich in protein -- such as nuts, seeds and nut butters -- and choose your extra 141 calories from protein-rich foods.
For breakfast, try two slices of whole-grain toast, four egg whites, one slice of reduced-fat cheese and 1/2 cup of honeydew melon. A morning snack may consist of 1 cup of plain, nonfat Greek yogurt, 1 cup of sliced strawberries and 1 ounce of almonds. For lunch, try 1 cup of sliced cucumbers, 3 ounces of grilled chicken breast and 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa. A healthy afternoon snack might include 2 cups of low-fat milk and 1 ounce of peanuts. For dinner, try 3 ounces of baked tilapia, 2 teaspoons of olive oil, 1 cup of brown rice and 1 cup of cooked asparagus.
Benefits of Exercise
Men who combine exercise with 1,700-calorie, high-protein diets often effectively burn body fat. For best fat-loss results, participate in a variety of resistance-training and cardiovascular workouts. A high protein intake helps prevent loss of lean muscle tissue during periods of calorie restriction, and it maximizes fat loss in individuals who exercise regularly, according to a review published in 2011 in the "Journal of Sports Sciences."
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010
- The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition: Protein, Weight Management and Satiety
- Physiology and Behavior: Relatively High-Protein or 'Low-Carb' Energy-Restricted Diets for Body Weight Loss and Body Weight Maintenance
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Strength Building and Muscle Mass
- Journal of Sports Sciences: Dietary Protein for Athletes: From Requirements to Optimum Adaptation
- ChooseMyPlate.gov: What Counts as an Ounce Equivalent in the Protein Foods Group?
- ChooseMyPlate.gov: What Counts as an Ounce Equivalent of Grains?
- ChooseMyPlate.gov: What Counts as a Cup of Fruit?
- ChooseMyPlate.gov: What Counts as a Cup of Vegetables?
- ChooseMyPlate.gov: What Counts as a Cup in the Dairy Group?
- ChooseMyPlate.gov: How Do I Count the Oils I Eat?