How to Heat Corn that Has Been Cooked

When Columbus came to America in 1492, he brought numerous discoveries back with him, one of which was corn. Originally from Mexico, corn's versatility quickly made it an important food crop throughout the known world and one that is still widely used today. Boasting high amounts of fiber, iron and vitamin A, corn is a healthy and flavorful accompaniment to meals or a satisfying snack all by itself. If you have cooked too much corn, resulting in leftovers, it's also a convenient vegetable to reheat for use when you need it.

Microwave Heating Corn on the Cob

Step 1

Wrap individual ears of corn on the cob in damp paper towels.

Step 2

Place the wrapped corn onto a microwave-safe plate.

Step 3

Place the plate into the microwave and set the machine's power to 50 percent.

Step 4

Heat the corn for 2 minutes.

Step 5

Remove the plate from the microwave and unwrap the corn.

Step 6

Season the corn to taste with salt, pepper and butter, and serve while it is still hot.

Microwave Heating Corn Kernels

Step 1

Transfer the corn kernels to a microwave-safe dish.

Step 2

Place the dish into the microwave and adjust the machine's power to 50 percent.

Step 3

Heat the corn for 1 minute.

Step 4

Stir the corn, adding butter if desired.

Step 5

Continue heating the corn for another minute and serve immediately while it is hot.

Things You'll Need

  • Paper towels

  • Microwave-safe plate

  • Butter

  • Salt

  • Pepper

  • Microwave-safe dish

  • Spoon


Check the corn's temperature with a food thermometer. Heating food to 165 degrees Fahrenheit is optimal for killing off bacteria.

If you don’t have a microwave, heat corn kernels in a pot on the stove over medium heat. Similarly, place corn cobs into a pot of water, bring it to a boil and allow them to simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.

Store previously cooked corn in the refrigerator for up to two days before using or discarding it.

Load Comments

Copyright © 2019 Leaf Group Ltd. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the LIVESTRONG.COM Terms of Use , Privacy Policy and Copyright Policy . The material appearing on LIVESTRONG.COM is for educational use only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. LIVESTRONG is a registered trademark of the LIVESTRONG Foundation. The LIVESTRONG Foundation and LIVESTRONG.COM do not endorse any of the products or services that are advertised on the web site. Moreover, we do not select every advertiser or advertisement that appears on the web site-many of the advertisements are served by third party advertising companies.