A Mushroom Allergy and the Intestines

Gastrointestinal symptoms from eating mushrooms may be a sign of a mushroom allergy. Although mushrooms are not considered a common food allergy, the Cleveland Clinic states that if you're allergic to mold you may experience a food allergy when eating mushrooms. If mushrooms trigger an allergic reaction, the lining of the intestines can become inflamed and swell from increased levels of histamine. A mushroom allergy is a serious medical condition that needs to be evaluated by your doctor.

Mushroom allergies will affect your intestines. Credit: Dave King/Dorling Kindersley RF/Getty Images

Mushroom Allergy

A mushroom allergy occurs when the immune system doesn't recognize the proteins found in the food. Because the immune system doesn't identify the proteins as safe, it attacks them with immunoglobulin E antibodies, which trigger mast cells to create histamine, according to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. Histamine is a hormone in the body that helps to protect against infections and diseases. When histamine is created in excess, it causes blood vessels to dilate, increasing blood flow, increases mucus production and can cause the lungs to constrict. There is no cure for a mushroom allergy. A mushroom allergy is managed through diet by avoiding the consumption of mushrooms.

Swelling in the Intestines

When histamine is released in the lining of the intestines, inflammation occurs, which causes common digestive symptoms of a mushroom allergy. Common digestive symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, cramping, abdominal pain and bloating. Your digestive system is the first one in the body to come into contact with the food you eat, which may cause these symptoms to develop within minutes. Other common allergy symptoms include sinus congestion, skin rashes, hives, headaches, light-headedness, shortness of breath and wheezing.

Testing

To determine which type of mushrooms trigger an allergic reaction, your doctor may require that you see an allergist for testing. Allergy tests use your skin and blood to determine whether or not your body releases immunoglobulin E antibodies. During a skin test, a small amount of protein from a mushroom is injected under the top layer of the skin. If within 15 minutes the skin becomes inflamed, itchy or develops red bumps, you may have an allergy. The suspected allergy will be confirmed through a blood sample that is sent to a lab and tested for the presence of IgE antibodies.

Consideration

If you test positive for a mushroom allergy, your doctor may recommend that you stop eating all foods that contain mold. Common foods that need to be avoided include cheese, sour cream, sour milk, beer, wine, sauerkraut, dried fruits and pickled meat and fish.

references
Load Comments
PARTNER & LICENSEE OF THE LIVESTRONG FOUNDATION

Copyright © 2019 Leaf Group Ltd. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the LIVESTRONG.COM Terms of Use , Privacy Policy and Copyright Policy . The material appearing on LIVESTRONG.COM is for educational use only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. LIVESTRONG is a registered trademark of the LIVESTRONG Foundation. The LIVESTRONG Foundation and LIVESTRONG.COM do not endorse any of the products or services that are advertised on the web site. Moreover, we do not select every advertiser or advertisement that appears on the web site-many of the advertisements are served by third party advertising companies.