Having support is essential. At work, in the gym and throughout life in general, it's much easier to commit to something and stick with it if you have someone at your side encouraging you.
In fact, a 2016 Scottish study from the University of Aberdeen found that people who found a new exercise buddy (as opposed to sticking out their own routine alone) increased the amount of exercise they did.
Additionally, a 2012 study published in the Annals of Behavioral Medicine found that people who worked out with a friend improved their overall performance when working out on a stationary bike six days a week.
Tips for Finding Your Own Workout Buddy
OK, so you know how great workout buddies are. Now what? It's not like we're still on the elementary school playground where you can just walk up to anyone and ask to be friends (well, maybe you can — more power to you!).
But if you need a little help finding someone who shares your desire to hit the gym more often and eat just a little bit healthier every day, here are some ideas to help get you started:
- Download an app. Mobile applications like Bvddy, Meetup, Strava or WellSquad put similarly minded people near you at your fingertips.
- Go the desktop route. If apps aren't your thing, try sites like November Project, ExerciseFriends.com or SparkPeople.com. Just double check to make sure they're not a fitness + dating site (unless you're single and that's what you're looking for).
- Search your network. Ask family, friends or coworkers if they either want to join you on your wellness journey or know someone who does.
- Take group classes. Show up to the same barre, yoga, indoor cycling or TRX class each week and see who's doing the same thing. Casually strike up a conversation one day and who knows? You might hit things off.
- Start a work(out) club. Use your lunch break to take a walk? Why not start a fit club at your office. You can do daily walks or all commit to doing video workouts (like our series with Jordan Shalhoub) together.
- Be brave. See someone at the gym who looks like they'd make the perfect workout partner? Gather your courage and ask! Just make sure you're not interrupting their workout.
And make sure you and your fitness buddy are on the same page. A 2010 study from the Journal of Social Sciences found that participants essentially matched the exertion of their partner. So if your workout buddy's not feeling it, chances are your workout could suffer a little bit, too.
Find Support With LIVESTRONG.COM
It’s thousands of people who are starting — or have already been on — a similar journey. They share their experiences and advice on what has worked for them as well as the positive impacts their healthier life choices have had. But they're also open about their challenges and pitfalls, and they help you celebrate your progress and success.
It’s like having your own personal cheer squad available to you 24/7!
Harness the Power of Community
It can be intimidating (and a little awkward) to make friends as an adult. And it can be especially difficult finding ones that align with your health and fitness goals. Here are more resources to help you do just that.
How to Join the Get Strong in 2019 Challenge
1. Sign Up for Daily Emails
Every day, we’ll be sending you your daily workout and a healthy recipe to try, along with fun extras like workout playlists, motivational quotes, self-care tips and other fitness and nutrition information to make 2019 your best (and healthiest) year ever!
2. Print Out Your Calendars
Isn't it so satisfying to check things off of your to-do list? Each day during the Get Strong in 2019 Challenge, you're accountable for two main things: working out and eating healthy.
To help keep you on track for the entire month, we created two calendars — one with each day’s workouts listed and another with each week’s nutrition goal and healthy recipes. Print them out and check off each workout and day of healthy eating as you complete it.
3. Join Our Challenge Facebook Group
For daily support, motivation and camaraderie with LIVESTRONG.COM team members, join our Facebook Group for the Get Strong in 2019 Challenge. We'll share recipes, tips, motivations, pictures and more! Plus, we'll answer all your questions.