Benjamin Franklin once said, "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." (He was a wise man — plus, he's on the $100 bill, so that should count for something.)
8 Tips to Help You Prepare to Succeed
This preparation applies to both your food and your time management. A great way to save time is by prepping meals in advance.
If you take time to make healthy food in advance and have it ready to go, you'll be less likely to reach for something that'll derail your progress. By making a big batch of food and freezing portions or getting your slow cooker cranking in the morning before you head to work.
- Start breakfast prep the night before. Make something like overnight oats in the evening, so you can wake up to a delicious, healthy breakfast you can take with you. Or try one of these nine vegetarian options.
- Portion your lunches into containers and store them in your fridge. Try something like this baked salmon and baked veggies dish for something nutritious and quick at work.
- Invest in a slow cooker to make a variety of delicious and healthy meals in advance. (Like this Slow Cooker Jambalaya we used in our Meal Prep Challenge.)
- Don't forget to prep your snacks. Most people fall victim to the 2 pm slump and reach for whatever is convenient. With this quick formula from MyHealthyDish, even snack time will help you reach your goals.
- Jump on the mason jar trend and try one of these 13 make-ahead meals — from Almond Milk and Honey Porridge to the Steak Burrito Minus the Tortilla Jar. You'll be the envy of the office!
- Don't be afraid of the freezer! There are plenty of options you can make on Sunday, and then enjoy throughout the next few weeks. Just preheat the oven and pop in your healthy dinner.
- Put your workouts on your schedule and keep the appointment. If you carve out time in your schedule and plan your workouts, you'll be more likely to stick with it.
- Set out your workout clothes the night before so you'll be ready to go. It's an appointment you're making with yourself, and building it into your schedule helps it become a healthy habit.
Once you've mastered the basics, take it to the next level with these 13 genius meal prep hacks to make you the queen (or king) of the kitchen. And you can always find new, tasty, easy and healthy recipes on LIVESTRONG.COM to help set yourself up for success. But don't be intimidated! It may seem like a lot to take on at once, but eventually, it will become part of your healthy lifestyle.